Message forum properties

Guest ROB BLACKBURN

Guest ROB BLACKBURN

Hello,

I have been lurking on this site for a while and am just starting on our CS20.

A lot of the stuff written is really excellent for a newbie like me and I was wondering how long the forum stores the material. Is there an archive system and or search facility to go back in time so to speak?

We live in Lennox Head Australia so should probably have the first one in the Antipodes....

Cheers

Rob Blackburn

Lennox Head Oz

blackburns@mac.com

Guest Brent Sparks

Rob, Welcome to the forum. Of all the places I have cruised, I think Oz is the one I would most like to go back to. You are fortunate to live in a wonderful place, and you will have a hoot sailing a CS20 down under.

I believe the forum got started just a few months ago, but there are folks on here that have a lot of experience.

Like you I am just getting started on a CS20, and several others are a little further along, so stay in touch as we all proceed.

bljcatsparks@earthlink.net

Guest Frank Hagan, Weekender, O

Hi Rob ... as of right now, our plans are to keep the messages accessible as long as messing-about.com is around. We only have a few hundred right now, and will archive off the excess when we get over 2,000. When the first archive is made, it will be linked in the nav bar at the top.

We're working on moving the site to a new host with more space and a faster server. We'll add the ability to upload a picture directly to our server with your message, so people won't have to find a place to upload the pic and then link to it. We'll also add a gallery application that will allow each person to post a number of photos here in an album format (that way the pics will stay around rather than scroll out of sight when the message gets archived.)

The default view of messages is 2 weeks; to see the older ones, return to the index page and click on "Set Preferences". Set the time to see all messages for the last year, and you'll get all 295 or so of them available to you. Then you can search them for any specific info.

fshagan@ev1.net

Guest Rob Blackburn

thanks for that, I have just looked more closely and can see the option now.

I really enjoy the photos etc that people are putting up. I am going to cheat and get some help building my boat as I can't really commit the time to do it in a reasonable period of time.

thanks and merry xmas

Rob

blackburns@mac.com

Guest Frank Hagan, Weekender, O

Nothing wrong with that, as Charlie said. A lot of times people are a little apprehensive about taking a lot of expensive stuff ("marine plywood" indeed!) and cutting into it. Having someone with some experience helps get over that "first cut fever" syndrome.

I'm thinking with my next boat I'll hire someone to do the sanding. That's the part I don't like that well!

fshagan@ev1.net