Time to call it good enough

Daniel Gross

Hello Dan,

I'm afraid that I have already started taking down the rigging in preparation for her hibernation.  However, I may be able to describe what I do.  The tail end of my line exits the deadeye on the top.  I left about a foot and a half of tail just so that I could get creative with tying it off.  Basicly when I stand up the rigging, after securing the forestay, I haul down on the tail of one of the front deadeyes and wrap it around the six lines below the deadeye until I have about six to eight inches of tail left.  I do sort of an overhand knot and pull backward on it so that it forms a tight loop.  I do the same on the other front deadeye and then finish off the back ones.  I know that this isn't a for sure secure knot, but so far I have not experienced any loosening even in some explosively hard gusts that we seem to get around here lately.  When I take down the rig, pulling out the knots takes some doing, so with the redundancy of four shrouds, I feel pretty safe.  I should say that I don't horse down on anything, and I don't wrap the line so tight that it completely pulls the six lines tight together.  That may be one reason why I haven't had any trouble so far.  The deadeye has some elasticity so the knot doesn't take too hard a tug. 

I got this idea from a picture I saw of a Swedish boat in an old Wooden Boat mag.  It doesn't have the traditional look that I've seen on tall ships, but it works pretty well and quickly.  I don't know if others do this, but I always loosen my deadeyes when I take down the mast after sailing.  I figure that if I didn't, it would be a bugger to stand up the mast next time.

Anyway, really nice boat.  Sail the daylights out of her.

Al

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Al,

That sounds like a good way to do the lanyards, if I have any problems with mine I'll try your method.

Currently mine are rigged more or less traditional and the loose end seized to the standing ones.

I only have one seizing on now until they stretch some more then I'll put on a few more.

I leave mine set and haven't had an issue with stepping the mast, I do it that way on my 22 footer too,

one less thing to mess with at the ramp. :D

dan

We finally got out on the water today, this was the second attempt at sailing Dark Wind.

The first time I had steering issues, the control line was over wrapping itself causing it to only

turn one way correctly. So I rewired it  :D. I moved the hole through the steering shaft aft an inch

and a half letting the line lead better, It worked great no overrides.

We also put a battery in the companion way box for a trolling motor, turned out well but the main sheet

got caught on the motor head a time or two. I'll have to find a work around that.

Winds today were 15-18mph with gusts to 28mph, but dangit we were going sailing!

So here are some on the fly shots, 

150035_466262867179_688797179_5447220_1603739_n.jpg 

74076_466263127179_688797179_5447223_5424596_n.jpg

75118_466263257179_688797179_5447225_1573843_n.jpg

74442_466263062179_688797179_5447222_6375189_n.jpg

That last picture say's it all!

All in all a good day, 15min set up, a two hour or so sail, 15min take down and an hour and a half talking

about D.W. to everyone who stopped by too admire it, one guy even knew what it was. :D

Fair winds

Dan

• 3 weeks later...