Douglas Fir is Crap.

BobSmalser

LOL, you do know that the only requirements to be a contractor is to own a hammer and an insurance policy?

But even doug fir would have rotted under the conditions shown there.  The framing of a house, regardless of the material, is supposed to be protected from water.

DF was used in boat building quite a bit, for things like decking.  There's a tall ship that was built in my home town of Costa Mesa in a man's backyard (we used to drive by it when I was a kid, and check his progress).  I think it is now the Star of Dana Point, but was the Pilgrim of Newport.  All of the decking was doug fir and it held up well.

More Stampology:

384725889.jpg

A Spruce-Pine-Fir (S-P-F) 2X10 Surfaced-Dry (S-Dry as opposed to Green or S-Green), kilned to 19% and run through a thickness planer....and graded out as No 2 Structural under the supervision of the Cariboo Lumber Manufacturer's Association (CLMA)at whatever client mill is on their books as Mill #15.

A board originating in Canada. Graders are generally mill employees, and mills subscribe to a Grading Bureau like CLMA or WCLB (above) who provide trainers, certify the graders and do unannounced spot checks.

Small sawmilling operations with only an occasional requirement to provide graded lumber contract with the local Grading Bureau for grading service by the day or half day. They generally send the inspector whose mill circuit is closest to your location.