ROAD TRAILER FOR CS 20?

Rob Blackburn

Well the time has come to order a trailer. What advice to you blokes give on the subject?

On the cd that came with the plans there is a white boat with clear finished topsides on a road trailer. Looking at that I was wondering how much support was given to the boat. Here in Oztralia the roads can be rather bumpy on the way to the favoured spot and I felt that the trailer could do with more support.

How has everyone else approached this and could you send/post some digital photos of what you have?

Thanks

Rob Blackburn

Lennox Head

Oz

I am not sure that you will find any trailer that will fit your boat on the showroom floor. All of the production trailers I have seen that fit the length of the CS20 are too heavily sprung. You want about a 1,200 GVW trailer. Most of this size trailers are for 12-15' boats. I think you will need to add some tongue to get the right spring and length. This can be done with a smaller diameter piece of tube, an extension piece the size of the existing tongue and some bolts/locknuts. Kinda like the joints on the mast tubes.

The boat is light enough that just bunks will do for supporting the boat. Try to position either the bunks or rollers under the side bench verticals.

(why does my name have "landlubber" under it when I log onto the site??? Have I been outed as a fraud?)

:lol: Not at all. The Forum software has rankings it can give posters based on the number of posts they have contributed. So we're having a little fun with it by having some Navy slang used for the ranks. You're a "landlubber" until you have posted 12 or more messages, then you get "promoted"!

Guest Tom Lathrop

Rob,

I've been around here since the beginning and am still a "guest". Just registered to try to gain some status. Maybe Frank will grant special dispensation so I dont have to work my way through pogey bait and gedunk ranking. At least up to slop chute hound Frank.

Graham is still an unperson so I should not complain.

One main thing about trailers is to have the primary hull support under some solid structural member to prevent dishing the hull bottom. Fore and aft bunks like in the picture should be set to be under some solid structure. The most solid parts of the Core Sound boats are the chines and second would be the side tank walls. I prefer several transverse bunks instead of the fore/aft ones unless the boat has strong internal structures to locate the bunks under.

Tom

Hmmm... I am still not sure of the Landlubber explanation, I detect a more sinister intent, but am prepared to watch and wait.

Back to the trailer, the idea of putting bunks transversely as well is not a bad idea. I guess you would buy the stock one and add them. My kids Sabot sits on a "custom" beach cradle with a carpet covered V section to profile the hull and you would essentially be doing the same.

You could put one under the front bulkhead across the ways and then put the others under the seats and the chine. We are going to put a couple of beach rubbing strips/strakes about 4/5th or so out from the keel to allow the boat to sit on the beach/gravel without grinding the finish. We thought we would brace transversely behind these to stop the hull dishing there and this is the other spot you could support it .

Beats working, thinking about this stuff.

Thanks

Rob