Everglades Challenge 2010

DLM

Duckworks is posting messages from the race. Looks like the CS20 got sideways to the surf crossing the bar coming in to Check Point 1, had a wave break across them and almost capsized. They checked in and went back out right away. Looks like they are behind a Sea Pearl but in a close race.

As they make the channel run into Chokoloskee (check point 2),   the CS20 of Doug Cameron (RidgeRunner) and Michael Collins (GreyBeard)  appears to be running a few minutes behind the Sea Pearl 21 of Bill Fite (Jarhead) and Jonathan Arthur (HonestJohn).  

Another Sea Pearl 21, "Maggie",  single handed by seasoned EC veteran Dave Combs (DaveOnCudjoe) capsized in rough Gulf conditions on the first day of the race.  Dave was rescued.   Last I heard "Maggie" was waiting to be recovered.   Have heard it said that Sea Pearls are difficult to right after a capsize  --especially if single-handed.

Meanwhile the Tornado catamaran set another record time (again) for finishing the 300-mile EC:  1 day, 2 hours, a few minutes.  Zooommmmmm.

More details about the race at SandyBottom's blog:  http://sandybottomkayaker.blogspot.com

• 2 months later...

Jewel, that was splash, not green water.  We had a fast run to Chokoloskee, then winds became light, and the Sea Pearl caught some better shifts.  I may even build a 17 so I can row it better!

Here is the blog link to my account of the race: http://capt-doug.blogspot.com/2010/03/2010-everglades-challenge.html

Doug