Getting a PS22 out of my basement.

Scott Dufour

So I got a CS17 out through a standard 34" wide entry door, by standing it on beam ends.  Now I'm trying to figure out if I can get a PS22 out.  Of course I can't leave the door in, but I've got 7'2" between my concrete foundation and the lolly column, with 6'6" of head room under the heating duct work.

So the challenge is can I squeeze the PS22 through the space after I remove the wall in between.  The sketch shows the PS22 Bulkhead #2 just making it if I tilt the hull so the side is exactly parallel to the wall horizontal. (I tilted the wall in the drawing, but it's probably easier to tilt the boat in reality.   :-?    So it might make it.  Maybe.  Just Maybe...

post-287-129497695488_thumb.jpg

post-287-129497695494_thumb.jpg

That's what I use to fix any problems I encounter.  Big hammer, thickened epoxy = problem go away.

I'm more a belt sander fan myself.  but you are right any problem that you create with epoxy glass and wood can be fixed with the same.  

And doesn't Jethro cut the boat up after he's done?  It's not an easy decision: the house or the boat...  

I don't think he ever finishes the boats.  I did see one in a NCIS just recently that was mostly done, he was painting the name on her transom.  I vote house.  I was thinking.  temporary jack to shore up next to the lolly column.  I bet you can gain almost a foot without the house falling down in a big way.   :shock:

My favorite Yogi Bera quote. "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice they are quite different."

As one who has built a princess I woudn't try it. In theory you can fit the number two bulkhead through. But in practice a finished princess has a mast tabernacle at the number three bulkhead that rises above the number two bulkhead. It also has 450 pounds of lead ballast, not something I would do in a basement.

Just my two cents worth.

Norm

Someone could write to Glen-L and ask them about the NCIS boat. It's a custom frame kit for their Amigo.

Personally, doorways aren't an issue with me, I've built too many. If you need up to an extra foot, you can remove the door frame and rough opening stock and gain this extra width fairly easily. Re-framing up a door way and tossing in a jam isn't very hard, even if you have to "job it out". Yea, there will be painting, plastering and cussing to do, but if you've built a boat, you've got all those bases well cover previously anyway.

Oh, the doorway's definetly coming out- it's the concrete foundation and lally column that are the problem- but Chris is right; the house should fall slow enough for me to get the boat out.  :cool:

Good point about the tabernacle, Norm.  From the drawing, it's not the verticle clearance that's the issue, though, it's the horizontal.  Oh, and I'm definetly NOT pouring the lead in the basement, just installing it there.  :shock:

That's all IF I decide to build the 22.  I may end up going bigger...  All just studies right now.