Winter Hibernation

Greg Luckett

Hi gang,

Just peeking out from my winter hibernation. It does not look like nice weather yet. :(

Snowing steady now, and has dumped at least 6 inches since last evening, with a lot more expected for the next few days. I have lost track of how much we have had since December.

This weather makes me more determined than ever to find a heated shop big enough to work in, this year. I really want to build my PS26. Plan B is to move a lot further south, but that is not very probable anytime soon. I think a pole barn, insulated, with a good heating system, about 20x30 would be the minimum size, and something like 30x50 would be ideal. It will need a large door at least 15 feet tall. I saw a good building a few years ago that a couple of retired teachers were building a 50 ft cruiser in, that might be available. They launched and left for warmer climates 3 years ago.

Back to hibernating now. :lol:

I don't know about you but the only reason that I have made progress on my boat was that it was in the garage right at hand.  I'm not sure that a shop some ways away would be productive.

I know what you mean, but the PS26 will take up more space than my garage allows, and the city will not let me erect anything in the yard either. If the shop is not too far away, it would be easy enough to access daily in the evenings, but it must also have a toilet, shower, and small kitchen area with internet access and a couch or recliner for when I need to "think" about things. :-)

I don't know about you but the only reason that I have made progress on my boat was that it was in the garage right at hand.  I'm not sure that a shop some ways away would be productive.

I know what you mean, but the PS26 will take up more space than my garage allows, and the city will not let me erect anything in the yard either. If the shop is not too far away, it would be easy enough to access daily in the evenings, but it must also have a toilet, shower, and small kitchen area with internet access and a couch or recliner for when I need to "think" about things. :-)

A place for the hammock in the summers too. :lol:

I can count the number of times that I have caught myself standing at the end of the boat just looking at it.  I'll stand there for 10 minutes.  If I'm thinking its not in words.  Its more like letting the shapes sink into me.

Regarding accomodations all you need is a fridge for the barley pop, then get pizza delivered.  Oh....  and a place to plug in my Ipod!   :lol:

If you really have outgrown your garage, you might explore leasing some work space.  There might be a carpentry/cabinet shop nearby with some excess space that they'd love to rent for a smallish fee.  Leasing some workshop space might be a lot cheaper than building something.  And, those monthly rental payments might be good incentive to stay productive and get the thing done!

If you really have outgrown your garage, you might explore leasing some work space.  There might be a carpentry/cabinet shop nearby with some excess space that they'd love to rent for a smallish fee.  Leasing some workshop space might be a lot cheaper than building something.  And, those monthly rental payments might be good incentive to stay productive and get the thing done!

I looked at leasing a few years ago, but the best I could find after months of searching was $300/m, with just enough heating to keep it above freezing and only one 15amp power outlet.  Most places wanted $800 to $1500 per month. After giving that some thought, it would be a lot better to not throw that money away but instead invest it into some real estate that would provide a positive ROI.  I can find unheated space for around $150 to $500/m.

I don't know how far south you'd have to go to escape the snow, we just had a snow/sleet storm here in NC. I'm about 2hrs from Grahams. Wonder how much he got? But I am like you, I thought about a temp shelter, but that won't work. I don't want to "rent" space and toss hard earned dollars away. So I have decided to put my build on hold and found some plans for a pole "barn" with storage upstairs. It's 16'x20', to small for a PS26, but just the right size for the CS15/BRS15 (still trying to decide) that I want to build. And I will have a place to store it when I'm not abusing, (sailing) it. Plus, I have a stack of 6x6x12's that I need to find a use for. And who knows, I may decide on the CS17. after all I'll have the room. By the way, you did a very nice job on that Spindrift! And I thought that would be the boat for me, but it would be to small for me, so I will build a 15 footer. Have you had it in the water yet? Pic's? How about a temp lean-to against the house? Or a carport? With an extension of course, and it's not permanent. Good Luck in your pursuit of a shelter.

Jeff (aka) Diddle-Dally (Maybe I should change that name :lol:)

No snow to speak of here - about an hour from B&B Yachts - but the cold is yankee cold.  Milady has mentioned that we did not move far enough south. And to this past summer I had to invest in WEST Tropical hardener to jack to pot life above nano-seconds.  I yearn for those days again.

My shed and garage size limit me to small boats.  Both unheated, so my build time is somewhat limited, but prep projects (sawing etc) can be done during times when the epoxy says, not today.  If I win a small lottery I'm thinking window shaker style heat pump. If I win a big lottery I'll have to buy or build a shop building near the Beach House the Admiral would buy approximately 15 minutes after the lottery check clears.

Actually, I am not thinking of completely escaping the snow, just going to where the winter and snow/ice is only a couple of months. Here in Michigan winter starts in early November and can last until June, and be sleeting on July 4th.  Even going 30 to 60 miles south of here improves the weather conditions, on average. Southern Indiana or Ohio would be okay, but then there are more tornadoes too. My wife and I would love to move and live on the North Carolina coast but that will probably not happen in this decade, unless the job and real estate situation changes dramatically. This all brings me to building a shop big enough to climate control and work inside. When I win the big lottery I hope to build something the size of the Superdome and then build my house and shop inside of it. :cool:

Excellent idea, but how can I hide it from my wife?

Just start on the walls and by the time you start on the boat you'll probably have some excuse or another.  That's what I'd do (Maybe THAT'S why I'm single...)

I like the Superdome idea.  It's a money saver - Once you've got the superdome heated you won't have to heat the house or the shop.

Take a look at this...  http://floridahangarhome.com/outside.shtml

You know that its snowed a lot when the banner inside the monitor gets it. :lol: Greg the only thing that you would have avoided this year being along the coast would have been a few less feet of snow. This has been the worse winter in a couple of decades IIRC. Not even Ken the guy that seeks out the worse weather to sharpen his sailing skills has reported in since the fall season arrived. :silly: I promised him no bugs, no sunburns and no overloaded beaches and still not a peep.

It's even too cold here in Lower Alabama. I was out at the barn working on the Rescue Minor and the only thing I could do is sand. We are using cold weather epoxy and hardener and even that takes too long to cure in the cold barn.

Down to the 20's here tonight & tomorrow night.  Brrrrrr

Steve

Hi everyone.

On the post about Graham's Roast, Steve asked what I've been up to but I didn't want to hijack that thread. I though this thread on Winter Hibernation looked like a good spot to reply since I feel like I'm just coming back to life. I've missed everyone here and I haven't had much boat time at all.

I managed to survive my nuclear plant outage schedule of three months (Sep.-Dec.) on night shift, 12 hrs per shift and one day off per week. It

• 5 months later...

I thought I was kidding about going to Australia to escape next winter, but it turns out I'll be down there for the last half of December  :cool:

I'll spend a little time in Sydney, Darwin and points South (Katherine), then Perth for Christmas.  Enjoy the snow!

I thought I was kidding about going to Australia to escape next winter, but it turns out I'll be down there for the last half of December  :cool:

I'll spend a little time in Sydney, Darwin and points South (Katherine), then Perth for Christmas.  Enjoy the snow!

Ken, I envy your trip to Australia and hope you will post some pics and stories when you return. As to enjoying the snow.....................what can I say? :lol: