Florida 120 article in Duckworks!

ScottWidmier

Scott,

Nice article! You caught the essence of the event.

Too bad Gina and I didn't get a little closer to your group with the J-28. Our draft just didn't allow it. We'll keep this year in our tentative plans and will most likely make some sort of appearance. Not sure what boat we'll bring.

Steve

Hi Steve, sorry I didn't make mention of you in the article but we really didn't get a chance to talk all that much and I kinda forgot.  :(  Besides, you moved so quickly under sail relative to my 12'er that I really didn't see you much on the water either.  I want to correct that next-time...how about a beer or two on me at Pirates Cove?  If you do have a smaller beachable boat I would highly recommend it for next year. 

Ken, glad you will be coming as well...or at least intend to come.  Be great to see your CS17 on the water with some wind...unlike the time I saw it at Hartwell.  I am trying to talk Keith into coming as well but we will see. 

Scott,

If I bring the big boat, I will also bring the Spindrift 10N sailing dinghy to make it more fun to come ashore. We'll have to see how things develop as the time approaches.

It was really too hard to get together to talk, and there were a whole bunch of folks to take up your time. We'll make sure we get some time this year.

Glad to see you are doing it again.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

O.o

I'd really like to join you guys on this. My new list of accomplishments is to do the FL 120 right here in my back yard, then the TX 200, then the Everglades challenge.

The only problem is that I finally graduate with my undergrad in Information Technology like 1 week before this cruise starts. My life is in chaos with graduating, job hunting, house hunting, and starting graduate school. If I am able to come I really won't know until last minute. My boat is older and I'm fairly inexperienced so I want to work my way into these challenges slowly starting with the FL 120.

My next question. My weekender is still not ready and probably won't be for some time. If I'm not busy with class/work/family I'm sailing my 18' Hobie Cat.....so I'm wondering will I be totally out of place coming with you guys on a catamaran?

Thanks,

Hank

I haven't sailed a Florida 120 yet so I'm not qualified to answer that question, but if you decide the Hobie isn't your favorite boat for the trip there might still be room for crew on another boat (I've got two crewmembers in line ahead of you but neither has committed yet).

The Texas 200 is too far away for me and the Everglades Challenge is probably not my cup of tea (daunting logistics) but I'm really looking forward to the Florida 120.  Who am I kidding?  I'm just looking forward to warm-weather sailing!

A Hobie 18 would not be out of place in the sailing part. It might be interesting to get all your camping/cooking gear on her, but I'm sure someone could help with those logistics. If I do the 120 (which I won't know for some time), I would be happy to carry your stuff on our boat. I would bringing the 40 footer, or the 28 footer, so room would not be an issue.

Steve

Oh and don't forget the WaterTribe NC challenges.  These are scheduled for Sept 24-26 this year.  NCC will be same event 100 miles, the NCUM will follow the NCC to it's first checkpoint, 50 miles.  Basic route, Cedar Island up the Neuse River, Harlowe Canal to Beufort, up Core Sound back to Cedar Island.

Graham and Randy placed 1st last year in the EC22, Paul and Alan placed 3rd in the CS20.  A kayak racer placed 2nd :)

The website has not been updated for this years event, but I'll post information when it is.  Does not have to be done as hard core race.  Come on Ken!

Dawn

Hi Steve, sorry I didn't make mention of you in the article but we really didn't get a chance to talk all that much and I kinda forgot.   :(  Besides, you moved so quickly under sail relative to my 12'er that I really didn't see you much on the water either.  I want to correct that next-time...how about a beer or two on me at Pirates Cove?  If you do have a smaller beachable boat I would highly recommend it for next year. 

Ken, glad you will be coming as well...or at least intend to come.  Be great to see your CS17 on the water with some wind...unlike the time I saw it at Hartwell.  I am trying to talk Keith into coming as well but we will see. 

I have not seen the other Yaller guy around. Even when he was around here, he posted few posts.  I cannot think of his login at this time.  Ken? sail in Hartwell? Nah, not enough mosquitos and rain to suit him..... :P:lol:

Hank - If the Florida 120 is in your back yard go ahead and bring the Hobie.  If you find it's the wrong boat for the trip you'll have options.  You can offload some gear to another boat as Steve suggested,  stow away on another boat, or if all else fails and you decide to go home you wouldn't have driven halfway across the country.

Dawn - I had kind of planned on setting my flounder nets during the NC Challenge, but if you'll loan me a spot tracker we'll see  :lol:

Oyster - You're the guy who lives in mosquitoland...  I just visit. ;)

Thanks for all the generous offers. The thing I love most about being a part of this sailing sub-culture is how helpful everyone always is towards each other. My friend and I travel light and I think we could cram our gear in a few dry bags and manage. I'm going to have a lot going on around that time but if at all possible I do intend to come. I'm a self taught sailor, learned through reading and trial and error, it would do me a lot of good to soak up some knowledge from you old(er) salts = P.

When it gets a little closer I should know something more concrete and I will sign up. Also where can I learn more about the BEER cruise? Is it in driving range for me? (Mobile, AL). The NC challenge and OBX 130 also look like a lot of fun. The FL 120 will be a good start for me to dip my toes in with these challenges. My biggest concern is the age and condition of my boat. I spent the winter repairing soft spots so the hulls are solid at least but I'm pretty sure the standing rigging is original (no signs of fray or oxidation though) and the sails are starting to look like something out of a Popeye cartoon.....all they are missing is some of my underwear sewed into them.

On a side note my Senior Demo project is also sail boat related, feel free to have a look if anyone is interested.

http://hankdaniels.wordpress.com