Boat Hooks

BobSmalser

57815603.jpg

Every boat should carry a boat hook within easy reach of the operator.  If for no other reason to save your oar blades from fending off rocks and concrete pilings, and to fish things out of the water without risking a dunking. 

380537560.jpg

Simple to make, you can customize them to fit the space available on a specific boat and include handy features the storebought hooks don

Every boat should carry a boat hook within easy reach of the operator...What other good ideas are out there?

Nice!

Here's my (good?) idea: just needs this, since one can't be too far away from "hydration" during the strenuous line retrieval operations...

Gimbaled Can Holder: http://marine.snapitproducts.com/product/v003-single-pivoting-drink-holder

"Look, I picked up the mooring line without spilling a drop!" :P

post-1948-129497693648_thumb.jpg

I've always liked the one Harry Bryan showed in WoodenBoat Magazine some years back. All wood construction, just a shaft with a dowel inserted near the end at an angle. So it can pull or push.  I think I'll make one as a winter project. I'll take pics.

Any idea which issue this was in?  I've been trying to find it.

Bob: do you use those scows for some kind of gainful employment?

I've always liked the one Harry Bryan showed in WoodenBoat Magazine some years back. All wood construction, just a shaft with a dowel inserted near the end at an angle. So it can pull or push.  I think I'll make one as a winter project. I'll take pics.

Any idea which issue this was in?  I've been trying to find it.

I think it is in issue 169, I'll try to confirm.

Mike, we've had snow a few times. A little under a foot on the ground now. I'll be working outside again tomorrow. Wearing my long undies, no doubt.

Steven

They float the sawmill in across beaver ponds to inaccessible areas, and float the cedar out.

51855355.jpg

No. 1 Select 8" beveled siding runs to $1.20 a linear foot, and custom-milled siding to match oddball Victorian siding on old homes can run up to $4.00 a linear foot.  Even knotty #2 sells for 45-60 cents a LF.  Very gainful employment.

282785146.jpg

The 12' Fred Dion Punt was copied from traditional cranberry bog punts.   It was chosen because of it's shape and that the design is more bouyant in the bow than stern.   When beavers dam a creek, the trees die and eventually fall over, leaving a stump.   These stumps can hang up a loaded boat badly, and you can lose your load freeing them.  In the Dion when high-centered on a stump, one merely has to move to the rear oarlocks and row off.