Core Sound 15, where can I see one?

rbappelbaum

After considerable looking about, the Core Sound 15 has moved to the top of my list. I want a relatively dry sailboat that is easy for a light adult to single hand but has room for a passenger or two and can be quickly launched off a trailer at a concrete ramp. Before committing to plans and material, I would like to see one completed or under construction. I live in east Texas and would be willing to drive a few hundred miles if necessary. I gather that there are not a lot of boats completed so I might settle for a look at a CS17. You can respond to my email address listed in the members area if you are willing to give me a look.

Robert

Dennis M,

That is one beautiful boat! But I'm confused. The pic's on the B & B website show a different sail set-up than you have. I didn't really like the one on the B & B site as I didn't care for the hole in the bow for the folding mast. Although I do like the twin mast cat ketch rig. Do you have to have the large hole for folding the mast in the bow? Your set-up is different, can you explain the differences to a novice like me. Also your mast is wooden, any differences in that, over what the plans call for? I was almost ready to order plans for the BRS15, but after seeing your boat, I may want to reconsider....

Do you have to have the large hole for folding the mast in the bow?

The answer is clearly No.

Most people simply pick the mast up and place in into the tube rather than use a tabernacle even on the larger Coresounds- I find it no problem on my CS17. If you search past discussions you will find a number of threads on the subject- the general consensus was that no tabernacle is needed on a CS17 and some thought it might be nice on a CS20 because the mast is a bit heavier. By extension it certainly wouldn't be necessary (or even desirable) on the smaller CS15.

Cheers

Peter HK

Guest Dennis M

Diddle Dally,

When I finished my boat, I ran out of money for sails. I had an existing rig from a previous boat and the main and jib center of effort corresponded perfectly to the cat-ketch rig's. My mainsail is set in the "reefing thwart", the mast is wood and the rig works very well. I have the standard foredeck. I built the boat to sail with the standard cat-ketch configuration. Other than the "bastard rig", there is nothing different about the boat. When I have the money, I will purchase sails, but since the boat performs well tricked out as it is, I am not in a hurry.

There are other threads dealing with my build and sailing the boat. Search Coresound 15, or Fatty Lumpkin, or Dennis M. There will be plenty there for you to consider before purchasing your plans.

Best,

Dennis