Dacron versus tarp

Herschel Payne

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with both types of sails, particulary, does the dacron sails really make a significant difference in light air?

I feel that one of the strong points of Weekender is to be able to ghost along in close to windless conditions, so if there is really a difference I'll spring for the expensive dacron.

Thanks, Herschel payne

Poly Tarp sails, if taped together, may give you a couple seasons worth of use in light to moderate winds.  Provided you take care of them and don't let them winter out in the weather.  If sewn and made  the same way as a Dacron set they will [potentially] last quite a bit longer provided they are well cared for.  I've had higher quality poly tarp sails last 5-6 seasons of light use on small boats.  But they were sewn and reinforced the same way as a professionally made set of Dacron Sails.  

The biggest factor in my mind is that you can put together a set of usable Poly Tarp Sails for a Weekender for under $75 if you tape them together and are not concerned about appearance or longevity.  They will get you on the water, get you used to how your boat handles and allow you to have some fun.  If they don't last, not a big deal to make another set with some shape made into them and have them perform better than the first set, assuming you make them with some care and follow the instructions.  

Dacron sails have several advantages.  First is that the material doesn't fray and get misshapen under use for many years.  Secondly, Dacron sails are available in lots of differing weights for varying conditions.  For the Weekender, PC or Vacationer,  They don't need to be very heavy material since these boats perform quite well in light to moderately heavy wind conditions.  With reefing points they become more versatile yet.  They have all the contours made into them by the sailmaker and will in most cases perform extremely well for many years.  They will also allow you to have a consistent performance by which you can tune your rig and take advantage of the learnig curve offered with continued use of your boat.  

If you are paying a professional sail loft to make up a set.  Dacron will cost more than Poly tarp fabric and last far longer.  Labor is about the same.  

If you are one that wants to try out various modifictions to a sail for your particular conditions, poly tarp sails allow you to experiment for little cost and see what might be worth investing in a custom set of Dacron after you have found out if you will get the use from them to justify their cost to you.

The sails offered by the Stevensons are excellent sails.  You wouldn't be unhappy with them.

The basic premise is home built, cheap sails that set like crap and wear out in a couple of seasons, versus professionally made Dacron sails that set well and can last decades if well cared for.

I've never seen a home built sail set as well or better then a professionally made sail. A long time ago I actually made a set of sails and I learned a valuable lesson. The sailmaker earns every penny they charge. Well made sails are lots and lots of hand work, with skills and techniques best left to them. Having been in many lofts and watched these folks "shape" sails, they know so much more with just a single look at a stretched out sail, then even the better educated among us, that it's wise to just admit this limitation and let them make you a sail.

This doesn't mean I don't use poly while "playing" with different ideas or rigs, but when I get a combination I like, I have "real" sails made by these magicians of Dacron manipulation.

The basic premise is home built, cheap sails that set like crap and wear out in a couple of seasons, versus professionally made Dacron sails that set well and can last decades if well cared for.

I've allways found it amazing that the powerboat crowd will pay thousands of dollars for an engine to make thier craft go but that sailors wince at hundreds for quality sails.  I guess that they more easilly see the craft and technology that goes into a motor. 

Or better yet, install a roller furler that cost more then new sails . . .

However, roller furlers don't consume their weight in precious beer or try to get the owner's teenage daughters drunk at the dock BBQ, unlike the foredeck crew on most boats I've been on, so there could be a long-term benefit.

But I hear ya'; I'm also not a fan in most cases, but on the OPB Yachts, I actually like roller furling: gives one more time down below to instruct said daughters in the fine art of chute packing... :P

tee hee hee.

pat.

• 3 weeks later...