Material

Norm Voth

I am new to this forum and new to boatbuilding. Actually I'm looking at beginning this summer. I have three questions. Is it possible to build the belhaven without the cabin and add it later? Second, what sot of plywood is called for? Does it need to be Okume (175.00 a sheet here) or is marine grade fir ($68.00 a sheet) acceptable? Third, I have access to cherry wood and am wondering if that is an acceptable wood for trim? Thank you for your replies.

Norm Voth

Graham may chime in with more specific recommendations. But as far as plywood, marine grade fir will work. Its a bit heavier than okume. And the rotary cut nature of it means that unless you use fiberglass cloth over it, it will crack and check.

There might be less expensive alternatives in your area if okume is that much more than marine grade fir. Meranti and finnish birch might work (both are also heavier than okume, so if weight is the primary concern, then searching for a better price for okume might be in order). Cherry is used extensively as trim on yachts now; I don't know how it would work if exposed to water all the time. I suspect it would be OK above the water line.

Guest Graham

hi Norm...In answer to your three questions:

First: It is not feasible to build the boat and house separately. It is a complete package structurally - with an integration of the house/deck etc...

Second: I would agree with Frank on the fir plywood. I don't know about Canada, but here in the US, fir marine plywood in 1/4" is only three plys. This would not be stiff enough across the grain in the panels - particularly the bottom. And also as Frank mentioned, fir MUST be fiberglassed because of the checking. You might also need to glass interior surfaces. This adds a significant cost to the "cheap" plywood, which mitigates the difference in, not to mention adding even more weight to the already heavier plywood. There is a company in Canada called Noah; and they seem to have reasonable marine plywood prices...your price seems on the high side. There are quite a few options, you have to shop around - maybe some of our Canadian friends following this forum could give you some leads. My general advice - (and I beg the indulgence of all of you who have heard me say this so so=== many times) is do not scrimp on the hull. You can make little economies elsewhere - things that can be changed later and upgraded; but the hull is forever and is the basis of the vessel's future longevity and value. Remember the most precious thing you will put in to any boat is you love and labor, so honor your own efforts with good materials. And remember - it is an investment not an expense.

Third: I think cherry would make a lovely trim wood. As Frank said, its durability in a wet situation might strike a "?"...but with judicious use of epoxy and UV protective varnish, it could be really nice.

Thanks for the responses Frank and Graham. Since this is my first attempt at boatbuiding and I'm not sure how much my wife will enjoy it I thought building the boat in stages might allow us to try and then dive deeper. It's probably a better idea to look at building the CS 17 and then if we fall in love with sailing build the Belhaven or even the Princess.

I checked the Noah web site and now have more questions than answers. They list Okume, Meranti and Teak but I'm not sure if any one is particularly recommended. Any opinions?

Thanks again for the help.

Norm

Teak plywood is used just for "show" ... cabinet fronts, the sole of a cabin or cockpit, that sort of thing. Teak is an oily wood, and may present problems gluing with epoxy. It can be eliminated from your list for the hull.

You could use either the okume or meranti. I think the okume gives you the lightest panel, and therefore the lightest hull. But both are fine boatbuilding plywoods.