CS 20 Convertible

Noklin

Ken, I like your suggestion. I am now thinking that a permanent hard dodger forward could provide the privacy needed now and a temporary canvas cover from the dodger aft to a temporary hard bulkhead just forward of the the mizzen mast would provide the added protection for the trip south. The temporary hard bulkhead would provide a secure place for the cover to be attached and provide a bridge deck and companion way hatch to minimize water taken on board in bad weather. I have started making a list of the equipment I think I would need for the trip and the boat modifications I would want to make. Will have a much better feel for what it would actually take when I get my boat in the water and get some actual experience with its handling in high winds/waves.

Pay attention to sheeting angles.  When you are running before the wind with the main way out (to prevent gybing), the mainsheet will go through your bulkhead or you will need to add another turn and a block outboard, and you would need to disconnect that for sailing hard on the wind.  Maybe some arrangement with snatch blocks?