Mast construction questions....

ScottWidmier

Ok, I need a new mast for Knot Yacht (pictured below) and have been threatened with being thrown out of the boating community if I were to put a wooden mast on such a modern-lined boat.  So, I am seeking a solution.  Awhile back I liberated some aluminum sectional flagpoles from a defunct (bankrupt) housing development.  Most had been knocked over by rambunctious drivers so I didn't feel so bad cleaning up the litter.  These sections are quite sturdy but admittedly thin-walled.  Though I did compare them to the mast on a Phantom and found them to be equivalent.  Here are my options regarding these sections:

Option #1:  Use them as-is with thickening plugs of wood installed at the joints and where hardware was to be attached.  If it breaks, replace it with another section.

Option #2:  Put graphite cloth over the aluminum poles which would both strengthen the walls and firm up the joints.  I would still put plugs where the hardware goes. 

Option #3:  Buy more aluminum that is either thicker or can fit snugly inside of the current pieces.

I am leaning towards options #1 or #2.  Option #1 is the lest expensive but I would be always concerned about a broken mast cutting short my sailing for the day.  Option #2 is a little more expensive though I can find cloth on ebay and already have the resin.  Plus, I think a composite mast would be both lightweight and fairly strong.

Opinions and options needed!

Do this first Scott. Place both the wooden mast they will replace and the aluminum pole over a couple of saw horses. Try to make things equal langth, then sit on each at the middle and measure the defection. This will give you a good idea of how much more flexable (if any) the aluminum poles are.

Skinning them with what ever isn't really going to help much. By the time you really improve the section stiffness, you'll have also increased the weight, which is  pretty much shooting yourself in the foot.

Use the poles as they are, they work fairly well if memory serves and you got nothing invested. You could fill them with a high density, two part polyurethane foam if desired (like 8 pound or higher) but for this to work well, the inside of the pole has to be freshly sanded (like within the last few minutes before the foam goes in) and it will help stiffness a little, it'll reduce the lousy noises made when things slap it and make the pole float too.

...... and have been threatened with being thrown out of the boating community if I were to put a wooden mast on such a modern-lined boat.  So, I am seeking a solution. 

Paint it to taste, tell them to stuff it, and when they build their own boat then maybe you will care what they think.

Well, I gotta admit that I think this boat would just look cooler with an aluminum or carbon-fiber mast.  This boat was a total departure for me from the "traditional" wooden boat and I do have a tendency to like to carry through with the "theme" of a boat to the end.  Hence the reason I spent so much time and money giving my other boat, Little Gem, so much catboat finish characteristics.  Obsessive/compulsive behavior I think.

p1010084.jpg

Paul, I had already tested the masts in the manner you suggested and found the aluminum to be actually a little stiffer than the wooden mast.  My main concern is with the possibility of point failure with the thin walls of the aluminum sectional flagpole I liberated from the weeds.  I do realize the most likely cause of point failure is something I have done to the mast like putting too many holes in it, the stress where it comes out of the step, or even the wooden plug I put in it to take some of that stress.  I have gone so far as to think about a conical section on the end of the wooden plug so that the transition from plugged to hollow would be more gradual when the mast was under stress.  I also am thinking about attachments using a hose clamp arrangement rather than a drilled hole.  Would foam help with the transition from the plugged to the unplugged sections of the mast?  I am not overly concerned with noise.

Final thing I gotta keep in mind is this boat is experimental and I don't want to have to put any more money into it until I have proven the design.  Hence the leaning towards Option #1.

BTW, I will be keeping the boom just painting it white to match the boat.  It is made out of 2 pieces of 1x with a T cross section and both light and stiff as a result.  I am happy with it.

I did find a source for Lehman 12 sails which would both fit Knot Yacht rather well and is less than what I could make the sail myself even out of polytarp.  Here is the link to this 12' boat with 81 square feet of sail and some pictures are below: http://www.wdschock.com/boats/lehman12/l12_specs.htm

l12_lines1.gifl12_boat1.jpg

Only problem is that the current mast, recycled from an earlier project, is too short even for the gaff rig I have on the boat.  So, I need a new mast anyway and the aluminum flagpole is the quickest way to one.  I think I will try it though I may go ahead and rig at least a forstay to make sure the whole thing doesn't come down on my head.  Shrouds would also add a lot of comfort though all three would take the "shock absorbing" capability out of the rig.  Still, a sportscar doesn't have nearly as plush shock absorbers as a commuter car so you can feel the road and adjust. 

I really can't wait for warmer water temperatures so I can play with this boat!  :-D

Mini 6.50s use a headsail as well.  The Moth uses a main only.  Most of the new high performance planing hulls and catamarans are now using variations of this shape.

Mini 6.50 "Acadia"

International Moth

I don't know what this does to the CE on your boat, but it might be fun to consider if you can make it work.