PFEIL wood carving chisels

Greg Luckett

My wife, Edith, and I have been taking wood carving classes. We both enjoy the work. We just got our first set of carving tools, having used the instructors up to now. We decided if we were going to get tools, they had to be the best we could get, or not get any. The PFEIL chisels are very, very good.  Cost from Woodcraft was in the $250 range. I need to get busy this weekend fabricating a couple of mallets on the lathe too.

post-65-129497691381_thumb.jpg

Wow, I'm impressed!  Judging by my past attempts at anything artistic, my carving would look more like it came out of the backside of that bear.

Are you finding it relaxing to do? 

Our teacher is a master carver, with years of experience selling his creations. He started carving back in the 70s and has had training by German master carvers, as well as some real experts here in the US.  Some of his teachers are also authors of carving books. This is why I am doing as well as I am. My wife has artistic talent among her many attributes. She is finding the carving to be relaxing. I enjoy it but relaxing is not a description for me.  It is just our teacher and the two of us in this class which allows for a lot of one on one tutelage.

Frank, I bet you would do as well as I am or better, with the right teacher. :)

One of my carving mentors told me carving was easy.  All you have to do is remove all of the wood that does not look like what you want to end up with. :lol:

Have fun Greg, that's what it is all about.  Carving is like music, very few people can ever hope to make any money at it, no matter how good they are.