Once again, Marine Grade Paint Questions

Maria CS20 104

I bought a gallon "KIT" of marine grade epoxy based paint.  Something called BLP from Mobile Industrial Paints, labeled "MOPOXY".  Has anyone heard of this stuff?  2 part mix of one to one, mix thoroughly and let sit 30 minutes and GO TO WORK.  Paints like spreading TAR on a cold surface, begins to set up QUICK and does not spread well.  Used a good brush and got about 25 foot of coverage with 1 cup of the mix, but it will require a LOT OF REWORK as it seems to drag off at times from covered areas.  Can this stuff be thinned with anything to allow an easier spread or is this the nature of this type of material.  I know it has a 12 hour cure time, can I do a light sand earlier to go for the 2nd coat?  I am confidant that the specialty paint shop was trying to give me the best stuff for the application, but ( a big but here) am I in over my head?  Sure feels like it.  Spreading B&B provided epoxy in 55 to 60 degree weather is a lot easier than dragging this paint, but that just may be the nature of high dollar epoxy paint.  Prep work on the surface applied was sanding down second coat of B&B, light coat of B&B epoxy, let cure for 12 hours, sanded lightly by hand for drips and dips, it was a little soft, not enough to put a finger nail into but slightly tacky to the hand and foot.  Plan is to let it all cure for a day and go back and light sand and repaint with the Marine MOPOXY since3 it is the recommended and readily available material.  1 GALLON is supposed to cover 300 square feet, but I think more than likely it will be closer to 200 sq.ft., they way it sets up on application.  HELP, I am in over my head on this and as I it turns out a terrible painter.

Jim

This sounds like the kind of paint used on offshore oil rigs and other marine metal structures. It sure doesn't sound like something you want to paint your topsides with. I've used Interlux 404/414 epoxy primer and the 2 components are very thick when mixed together. But then a special thinner is added which makes it flow much more easily. Maybe you could inquire at the place you bought it to see if there is an appropriate thinner.

I would try a good solvent resistant roller. I also use the four inch frame and cut the large heads in half and trim the edges of the fuzz before using it. The one to one sounds like the Devoe brand or the Benjamin Moore brand called Polymide that I use all the time. But you really cannot brush it.  Your brand has other paints that a lot of the commercial boats use too.

Your paint is way better than my paint.  Having said that I shoud also disclose that I am probably at least as bad a painter as you are and I made some phone calls to the manufacturers of high-dollar coatings (not sure if I called about two-part paint though) and NOBODY I talked to would say that their paint would stick to two-part epoxy, no matter how much they were going to charge me for it.  That (and my painting skills) drove me to buy the low-dollar Olympic brand non-water based paint (oil? alkyd? whatever) from the big-box store down the street.  My boat looks like it's been painted by some housepainter but the paint is holding up nicely where I haven't scraped it off by running into stuff.

I'm not necessarily endorsing a particular paint manufacturer - I'm just saying it's okay to do an ugly job like I did.  Actually it's kind of fun chasing down and passing prettier boats  :cool:

That was totally un-helpful wasn't it - Sorry.  Keep us posted because my next boat is going to be pretty AND fast :)

I can't address the specific product you mention as I'm not familiar with it. Having said that, from the research I've done the best use of two part epoxy paints is as a primer on the topsides, as is for the insides of lockers, bilges, etc and possibly on the interior areas. Tough and is about the only paint that will standup to immersion.

Left exposed to the sun, it chalks, so that eliminates it's use on the topsides, except as a primer. Also a primer for the bottom paint. It's going to stick to your epoxy coatings OK and is a doable primer for most topside paints (except those alkyd......read oil based.......paints).

System 3 makes a water based two part epoxy primer for their paints. Others I've heard of folks using is Sherwin Williams 2 part epoxy. I've seen that used on bathroom doors in commercial settings, and it rolled on easy and finished hard and slick (was a gloss finish). Nothing like the stuff you described.

I have used the MOPOXY once on some steel tanks but not on any boats I've built.  It is manufactured locally.  It has been a while since I've used it, but I  remember not being very happy with it during application.  It also did not hold up well.  I had coated the tanks with Phospho or something similar before I applied it and I've never determined whether to blame the paint or my application of it over the phospho.  I didn't use it any more after that.

I went and talked to the dealer regarding the spreading of my "tar" based mix.  Low and behold, it can be thinned with a special thinner and it seemed to work really well using a high density 4 inch foam roller and it flattened out as it set up.  Thinned 1 cup with three tablespoons of the MOPOXY brush thinner and my bride went to work as I filleted the side and aft seat tops.  Karen is amazing when she gets in the grove and she was in it today.  The fumes are bad, really bad and for the first time I am glad we have a car port.  Surface sets up in about four hours and worked out well, good coverage and looks fine for under the seat.  The first coat looked like a 13 year old kid was consigned to paint an outhouse for some minor infraction, like stealing a pie from the window sill.  We've got all seat tops set in place with thickened epoxy, used the micro bubbles to fillet in the top of the seats at the edges and to glus down the forward seat and cover area.  Did a quarter round in seat edges and epoxied and fiberglass all available to the forward seat cover.  I thank Graham and Carla for encouraging me to get it now we are going to  to see how it works, not too bad for a days work.  We look forward to seeing how the sanding goes with the micros v.s. the wood fiber as I intend to use the B&B epoxy mix and micros for fairing the hull starting Saturday.  Keep ya posted on the progress, pics are available but we are having trouble loading, we'll figure it out and get them on line,  AGAIN, THANKS TO ALL

Jim