CS 17 rigging

rmays

OK guys,

When I built Mermaid, we were just going to arm chair sail. But I've been a dingy racer (no puns please) for a while now and couldn't resist. Did a water tribe sprint race (NC Ultra Marathon) and now I'm thinking about more.

Problem is, sleeved luffs! no battens! nothing led to the cockpit for sprit tension or luff tension or to reef! And, now that I think about the aluminum spars- they are great for low maintenance but terrible for letting the gusts spill off!

So, what's a sailor to do. I'd appreciate all your suggestions on the simplest ways to change this to an adjustable rig that can reef easier w/out breaking the bank! I don't think I'm going to buy new sails. We thought to sell the boat, but we like her and this isn't the best selling time. My wife would still like to move up to a boat the size of the EC20 but I only want one boat at a time- so time to upgrade the Mermaid (although she's old enough now to be MerWoman).

Cheers

If you're not afraid to cut and sew there has been at least one conversion of sleeve luff sails.

A heavy zipper (and appropriate reinforcement) was added to one side of the luff from the foot to the cutout for the snotter.  A new cutout for the snotter was made higher up.  A corresponding clew was added to the sail at the proper height.  And a halyard was added to allow the sail to set lower on the mast when reefed.

I've got reef points in the sails for a sort of roller-reefing but that would require a pin to keep the mast from rotating when reefed and I still haven't installed one because once I sailed a Sea Pearl with two rolls in the sails I decided the degraded sail shape made the option undesirable (as Graham had warned it would).

I've been thinking about adding zipper-reefing for a long time but I haven't been caught by surprise winds often enough to worry about it so far.  I use the mizzen-only option by moving the mast to the middle step.  It's not a fun process when on the water but I've only done it on the water once.  All other times I've sailed with the 3rd step I've managed to move the mizzen mast while on shore.

nothing led to the cockpit for sprit tension or luff tension

That bit is easy to fix.

With respect to reefing- it may not be too expensive to have the luff sleeves cut off and sliders and reefs fitted by your sailmaker (or yourself if you're up to it) and fit tracks/halyards to the mast.

I've made the main reefable from the cockpit- a line to the reef tack led aft, halyard led aft, and reefing line at the clew end led forward along the boom (mine are aluminium so the line goes internally to an turning block and then exits to a cleat on the boom about halfway along)

I'll attach a few photos

post-0-129497639507_thumb.jpg

post-1007-129497689628_thumb.jpg

post-1007-129497689636_thumb.jpg

I had my sails converted from sleeve to track by Stewart Hopkins at Dabler Sails.  It cost money but he did an excellant job and I have been very happy with the results.  I bought and installed the stainless steel tracks from Graham and attached with ss poprivets.

You will not believe what a great feeling it is to know if the wind picks up you have the ability to reef and keep enjoying yourself.  I have felt much safer sailing since I made the conversion.  I feel the money was well spent.

Dale

Thanks for the thoughts so far. I have a sailmaker standing by to make the changes I want- but wanted to see what's been done already and how it worked. I thought about hoops or cutting slots in the sleeve to allow the sail to be lowered, and also talked about gathering the reef forward against the mast but can't think how do that w/out having a really sloppy luff.

Whoever's at messing about 2 in Maribel this weekend can give me more free advice :)

• 2 weeks later...

Messing about was fun- too many things going on to stay long enough. Good to see Tom Lathrop there!

I saw 7 CS17's and 1 20 and 8 different ways to rig a boat- kind of cool! So now off to the sailmaker for a tete et tete'.

Messing about reinforced my wife's desire to move up to the EC22- she want's the cabin and thinks I need the speed- what a good wife!