Yet Another Newbie Joins The Forum!

Diddle Dally

Hello Boaters,

After several weeks of "lurking about", I decided to chime in, and introduce myself. Iamb Jeff, and I have always been interested in boats,(Why do I feel I should be at a meeting?) Sailboats in particular. I have had a few boats myself over the years, but non sailing. I got the sailboat bug years ago living on the coast of Lake Ontario in Olcott NY sitting on the end of the pier fishing, when they would come racing by, with spinnakers of all colors of the rainbow full of air. I now live in NC, and I love going to Morehead City and Beaufort NC to see the boats and I always go to the bodybuilding shop across the street from the Maritime Museum in Beaufort, to see what they are working on next. I really enjoyed the Pepsi Sails show a few years ago, and was dissapionted that I missed the Wooden Boat Show in Beaufort this year. BUT!! I will be at this months messing about at B&B!! I want to build a boat, but what to build??? So going to the mess about will help me decide. It will have to be under 15'. My shed is only 16' long, unless I expand it, but since I will most likely be by my self, I thought that would be a good size. Not to mention the budget. So I will see what I like at the mess about. One thing, I have never been in a sailboat,(ironic I know) anyone want to give me a ride?? Now if I could only get the wife onboard....

Welcome to the forum Jeff!  There are a lot of nice (and helpful) people here.

I'm probably going to be at the B&B gathering with my CS17 (#121) but I'm not quite sure yet when I'll be there.  Be sure to flag me down for a sail if you see my boat.

Where are you in NC?  I'm in Durham.

And if you think we're here to help you quit an addiction you're in the wrong place - We'll just fan the flames  :cool:

Jeff, whatever you decide to build, and it sounds like your are well sucked into this adventure, a good thing by the way, B&B builders, myself excluded from so many experts, are amazing and so helpful at every turn.  I am building a CS 20 in a 20 foot open car port so to get around, I have put up a temp shelter that extends about 5 feet into the open tacked and stapled with poly and cotton sheets and a clamped together tent.  "MY WIFE IS VERY UNDERSTANDING and VERY Involved in building and sanding through the first few phases, hull tie and construction, inwalls, bench stringers, bulkheads and fillets and fiberglassing of the same.  I ponders a lot and she has turned the project over to me to complete with mega encouragement.  25 year old son came to realize in my pondering that this was MY boat and he has pushed me to move and grove when he see's me stagnating or slacking.  Darn ARMY made him a goal focused young man and he drives me and makes me talk about next step and next step and next step and then he follows through and wants to see me moving forward and completing what he said are my commitments to the project and myself.  "Dad, this boat is YOU, you are the project and it is yours, it defines you and the drive you have had all your life, I can't own this or any part of it, it is your heart and dream, MAKE IT HAPPEN, I'll help where I can but this boat is you, think Astronaut Farmer Dad, you love that movie, this is you, I need to see it happen for you and I'll help by watching and showing my friends and talking about it and watching it grow and be finished, I'll hep where I can but this is your thing it is you."  What a kid, what a fine young man, "You Have to Do This, This is Yours and I am so proud of what you are doing, it's amazing."  With that he huged me and encouraged me to keep working at it and he'd be checking on the daily progress.  He is an Afghan Vet, four years active duty with one in Korea and One year in country of the rocks.  This "thing" is in my head and heart and I have never regreted the start, only wanted to burn it to the ground  a few times because I felt so inadequate to the task, but the folks at B&B building forum are a life line and friends.  I'd say GO FOR IT, You Only Live Once, make it worth while.  These are great people.

Jim Atkinson

Guest wwbaginski

17 ' is able to be skipped solo as well, see this:

http://home.xtra.co.nz/hosts/david77/movie10/video10.html

there's 17' CS among other boats,  Richard at the helm I think. Cat-ketch rig is really very friendly to alone skipper thanks to it's self - tacking ability.  You can conrol everything sitting in the aft cockpit: both sails, both sprits, the board and the rudder of course . My BRS17 is rigged with this manner too . Beyond, two extra feet give you more safety in fact.

Jim,

Glad to hear you will be at the mess about, and am looking forward to a ride. We aren't that far apart, as I live in Spring Hope NC. In between Raleigh and Rocky Mount.

Maria CS20,

Sounds like you have a son to be very proud of! I also served in the desert, the first time. I can't believe you have extra clamps to spare to use on your shelter,haha. As far as your shelter, I guess it's improvise, adapt, and overcome. Now if I can only get my wife involved.

wwbaginski,

I'd like to do a 17 footer, but it won't fit into a 16 foot shed, unless I expand it. Or build a whole new shelter, hmmmmm

Thank you all for your responses,and for all who have taken the time to at least read my post. And I am looking forward to using this forum for all it's worth.

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

I am going to reply to myself! After going to the Messabout, and sticking my nose in the shop,( where all the majic happens) I found a Spindrift 10'! And after discussing it with Graham, I think I like the 12' Spindrift "kit!" While I may have to postpone getting the kit, instead of just getting the plans and the wood, I think the time frames would catch up with each other. I really like the dovetail joints at the bow, along with the CNC precision of the cut pieces. And I think this would be a very good first boat to learn on.

post-1895-129497689862_thumb.jpg

post-1895-129497689866_thumb.jpg

post-1895-129497689869_thumb.jpg