Rescue Minor Under Construction

Steve Day

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We have not had the boat in the water since we got the tachometer, so we don't know what it's maximum loaded speed is. 3800 rpm is a bit over what the engine should turn with no load. If I remember correctly, it is somewhere between 3200 and 3500, but I need to verify that before we get into the water again. I have already turned it back some, but we need to work with it a bit more.

Right now, it's a bit cold to do a lot of boating without our "woolies" on.

Steve

I made some hangers for the boat fenders a couple of weeks ago and finally got some pictures of them last Friday.

These were made from Mahogany scraps that I had laying around the shop and they came out quite well. I just cut a slot, drilled two holes, and varnished them. Here are some photos of them in place and details of one of the pieces.

post-0-129497639507_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497707615_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497707619_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497707624_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hey Steve,

I'm a big Atkin fan, and in fact live in the town (Huntington, NY) where William had his first boat shop in 1906. I've built his "Cabin Boy" skiff and am working on the round bottom "Vintage" sailing dinghy. Great boats, in my opinion. Good to see another well-built model on the water.

-- John

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately not. I did get her in the water in early February, but it's been too bloody cold to get out recently. When it finally warmed up, the big boat was calling with maintenance needs. Had to go up the mast (53' tall) and do a rigging inspection and replace the sail chafing gear, along with a good deal of wood finish work and port glass (Lexan) replacement. :unsure:

Tried to go out in the Minor this weekend and ran afoul of the rough weather yesterday and today. :( I was able to get the lubrication water to the shaft seal cut down to the proper level and we are hoping that will move enough water through the heat exchanger to keep the engine cool. If not, we will be cleaning or replacing the heat exchanger. We've been tweaking those things in preparation for more sea trials to check prop pitch before ordering another prop with more pitch. :mellow:

Just too many things to do and not enough time (with good weather) to do them.

Thanks for asking. I appreciate your interest in the project.

More to come soon,

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

I got out on the water early last week and ran around long enough to determine we needed to do more on cooling. The temperature got over 195 too quickly for me and I took it out of the water.

While I was running around, I did get a chance to check the wide open engine RPM's under load and without load. Under load, it turned a little over 3100 RPM and about 3200 RPM without load. That indicates we probalby have the correct pitch in the propellor. We will just have to live with the speed (or lack thereof).

I have since then taken the ends off the heat exchanger and have rodded out all of the tubes. Some of them appear to have been blocked, so that was a good thing. We also found a section of the hose from the heat exchanger to the mixing elbow that was "kinked" to nearly close off the flow. We have added an elbow to the mixing fitting to take the kink out of the hose, so that probably will help too.

We lost one of the hatches on the after deck while trailering at 65 MPH, so we will be replacing that in the next few days. We're going to get one that has cam locks instead of slam locks.

The boat is now ready to go and we are ready to take it to the Perdido Wooden Boat Festival late next month.

Hopefully, some of you will be able to make it to the show. It should be fun. :D I also plan to bring my Spindrift 11N sailing dink and show it, in addition to the Rescue Minor.

Steve

• 1 month later...

The boat show is a success and I enjoyed meeting several of you today. I had a trip as captain of the Delta Explorer this afternoon and had to leave the show. I will be back tomorrow morning to finish the show.

We will probably put the Rescue Minor in the water tomorrow, if the weather permits. Several people have asked us to put it in the water. :D

Steve

• 3 months later...