Steve Day

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Larry,

I was wondering if you had dropped off the face of the earth. You need to get over before we get it completely done.

We worked on the boat quite a bit today. We installed the second lamination onto the gunwhales on both sides, we cut the hole for the fuel fill and dry fit the fill hose, we installed the raw water strainer, the raw water hose from the sea cock to the strainer and from the strainer to the raw water pump. We also installed the bilge ventilator fan and the bow eye. We painted the after bulkhead with primer.

We got a lot done, but there was really nothing to show with a picture.

More to come as the week progresses.

We talked about a possible launch date today and decided it would be nice to get the boat in the water in July. What part of July, we don't know, but we're shooting for July. One thing that might affect the launch date is whether we can find a suitable trailer for the boat.

Steve

Steve,

Great to see the progress you have made in such a short time. This is going to be the most looked at Rescur Minor built in a long time.

I have a question which should have been asked when you were fitting the engine. How did you correctly drill the sterntube bore through the deadwood to ensure that the shaft alignment was correct?

Eric

The first thing we did was carefully plot the centerline of the shaft in the boat from the drawings. We drilled the hole through frame 10 using the laser level to give us the vertical centerline and the mark on the frame to give us the proper elevation for that hole thru 3/4" of wood. Then we used the laser level to project the vertical and horizontal centerlines onto the stern log. Using the laser to establish the horizontal angle and eyeball to mark the vertical angle and a very long bit shaft (necessary to get through the stern log) to align them, we drilled the hole.

Believe me, that was fun! And we had to sit around and scratch our heads a bit to figure out how we were going to do it. However, it worked and the hole is really close to the desired angle. 8) :-D

Thanks for asking,

Steve

I got to work on the boat a bit this week among all of the other things going on. The third and final lamination is on both gunwhales and we are now ready to shape them into their final form. The after bulkhead is painted and the "master" battery switch is installed. We put the mounting board in the after compartment for the fuel/water separator and the final fitting of the fuel filler has been done. As soon as the gunwhale is shaped, we can start preparing the after deck for paint.

We are getting closer to launching and are anticipating the event.

More to come,

Steve

Not plywood. I cut 3/8" to 1/2" (approx) strips of 1-1/2" fir and poplar and scarfed them into lengths to run the whole boat. We then glued them in place on the boat with thickened epoxy (with wood flour and silica) and held them in place with temporary screws. Unfortunately, there was no way to clamp them in place with the upper deck in place on the boat.

I had to work today at West Marine, but Wally was able to sand the gunwhales into shape while I was gone. I was able to stop by for a minute this afternoon and drop off some supplies to the barn and got a chance to look at the nearly finished gunwhales. They look pretty good! :-)

Our intention is to make the decks gray and the gunwhales bright. We also will make the coaming around the inside of the decks bright. That should make the boat look pretty decent.

We have to really start the search for a trailer in earnest as next steps involve getting the boat "up in the air" a bit to complete the rudder assembly and get the thing to the water to see if it will float.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I might be able to help finding a trailer.  I know a guy who was looking to sell a galvanized trailer in the 20 ft range the other day.  I'll try to get some more info.  Also have a solid aluminum one that held a 21 ft cuddy.  I was going to modify it for my bluejacket project, but that's on hold again.

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

I got the trailer back and promptly had several other things to do, including going up to Joe Wheeler Lake in North Alabama for the Antique and Classic Boat Show last weekend. I have a couple of pictures of the boats that I will include with this note.

I was able to get out to the boat this week and do a little work. I ran the wires for the nav lights, courtesy lights, and bilge blower. I was also able to build and place the rubrail across the transom. The larger hatch on the after deck was not able to mount on the deck due to the arch of the deck, so I added a layer of plywood and sanded it flat to allow proper seating. I was also able to procure a piece of aluminum to be used to mount the gearshift cable and get it cut to size. We are getting closer, but there is still a lot to do.

We are hoping to get a lot done this weekend.

Here are a couple of shots of the boats at the show.

A nice Chris Craft

post-0-129497639507_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497702634_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497702644_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497702652_thumb.jpg

Howdy,

I got a couple of hours on the boat this week and was able to get the rub rail across the transom and the wiring essentially completed from the distribution panel to the lights, bilge pump, etc.

Today, I was able to get the rub rail sanded smooth all the way around the boat and ready for epoxy and varnish. I also completed the bracket for the shifter and that is operational. The only control left to complete is the engine cut-off, which needs to be connected at the engine. I was able to get the proper adapters and we now have fuel connected from the tank to the engine and the return line back to the tank. Cooling water is completed from the sea cock through the cooler. However, we are still missing the mixing elbow for the exhaust, so the engine installation is not quite complete.

The last thing I did today was prime the foredeck and side decks back to the console area. One more step toward launching.  :grin: :cool:

Steve

I have pictures today.  :grin:

I got the hull cleaned up near the gunwhales and have primed those areas. I also primed all of the decks now except a couple of small areas that still have filler curing. The boat looks better.

Here are some shot of the boat as she sits now:

post-256-129497702698_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497702706_thumb.jpg

Got a good day in today. Worked on the ground side of the electrical and the feed to the "distribution" panel. I was able to get the second coat of primer (early this morning) and the first coat of the gray paint (this evening) on the decks.

Here are two shots of the boat as she sits tonight:

post-256-129497702937_thumb.jpg

Haven't had much time to work on this boat this week. We hauled our 40 footer Tuesday and did a survey on her Wednesday finding that the keel bolts need to be replaced. We have been working on that and also rubbing out and waxing the hull while she is out of the water. A fellow doesn't realize how much area there is on a big boat until he starts to polish and wax it! :shocked!:

The next step with the Rescue Minor involves getting the trailer ready.

Are we having fun yet???

Steve