Rescue Minor Under Construction

Steve Day

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After a busy week not working on the boat, we got the better part of the afternoon to work on the boat today. We were able to get the foredeck cut out, the side decks on, the floors for the deck installed, and the fuel tank mounts in place.

We also brought the motor to the site and are readying it for placement into the boat.

Here are a couple of pics of the boat as it is this afternoon. The stuff on the side decks is to hold them in place while epoxy is curing.

post-0-129497639507_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497697718_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497697727_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497697736_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497697744_thumb.jpg

We had a good day today. We got the deck cut out and the bottom epoxied this week and the top epoxied today. The engine was rolled around and hoisted into the boat today. After it was in, we got the wiring harness and hoses put on. That was an adventure! Kinda like putting together an erector set without plans. Now that the engine is in, we were able to find a location for the muffler and get a mount put in place for it. We also put deck stringers under the after deck to beef it up and provide a place for the upper rudder post bearing. Here are a couple of pictures of the boat taken this morning.

post-256-129497697883_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497697892_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497697899_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497697907_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497697915_thumb.jpg

Westerbeke W21A. We were looking at a new Yanmar, but the cost was entirely too much for our budget.  :shock:

This engine was available on E-Bay and we were able to get it at a more reasonable price.

I think we will be happy with it, and the price was certainly "right." :grin:

I'm not sure how much we will get done this week as I am going to "Cats" (my daughter is in the Broadway tour production) in Jackson, MS Tuesday and Wednesday and the Perdido Wooden Boat Show is this weekend. We sure hated not being able to show the boat this year, but "It is what it is."

Steve

Hi Steve:

Question regarding your choice of a diesel. I haven't ever used a diesel motor but being around them from time to time, on occasion there is a very strong odor from the fuel. Is this a normal "feature" of having a diesel in a boat? Or the result of poor fuel storage and delivery in the boat, or perhaps the design of the system?

Also... What kind of wood are the motor mount logs made of?

Paul T

Hey Paul,

The wood used for the motor mounts is probably oak. It was recovered from a pallet that we had around the shop as it was just the right size and a good hardwood. Since it has no pedigree, we are just guessing on the species.

Diesel fuel has a unique smell and it can be annoying in certain situations. If the fuel system is properly installed, the fuel is not spilled, and the engine is set up correctly, there should not be any annoying odors on a boat using diesel. Did I mention that these engines operate on about 1/3 gallon per hour while moving the boat at 15 to 20 knots?

We were at the Perdido Wood Boat Show this past weekend and didn't get too much done on the Rescue Minor.

BTW, there were three Rescue Minors at the show and they were all set up quite differently. If ours were there, there would have been four that were set up differently.

This Rescue Minor won the "Best of Show." He had it set up as a Redfish boat and it was beautifully done!

Karl,

Wally is working on the prop and I don't know who he is getting it from. We have had a difficult time finding the prop and he found it through an internet search. More to come on that after we get it in hand.

The Rescue Minors at the show were powered by the following (as I remember it):

A 20 horse Kubota that was marinized (show winner)

A 20 horse Yanmar marine engine.

An 18 to 20 horse Yanmar tractor engine that was marinized by the owner.

They all reported fuel usage in the same range of less than 1/2 gallon per hour and top speeds approaching 20 knots. The owners reported that the boats cruise best at about 12 to 13 knots.

Steve

Westerbeke W21A. We were looking at a new Yanmar, but the cost was entirely too much for our budget.  :shock:

This engine was available on E-Bay and we were able to get it at a more reasonable price.

I think we will be happy with it, and the price was certainly "right." :grin:

I'm not sure how much we will get done this week as I am going to "Cats" (my daughter is in the Broadway tour production) in Jackson, MS Tuesday and Wednesday and the Perdido Wooden Boat Show is this weekend. We sure hated not being able to show the boat this year, but "It is what it is."

Steve

Steve,

Does this engine come with a gearbox as standard and if so what is the model and ratio. I am replying from Australia and have been following this construction with great interest.

Eric

The Westerbeke came with a marine transmission. We're pretty sure the ratio is either 2:1 or 2.1:1, so we are looking for a 10"x14" prop. These numbers were given a "sanity check" with the other Rescue Minor owners at the show. We think we are just about right with this set-up based on the feedback we got.

What little time I worked on the boat this week was spent on the engine box. I made some real progress, but forgot the camera. Will have pictures soon.

Eric,

What part of Australia? We have some relatives in Wagga Wagga and over in Tasmania.

Steve

Hey Guys,

I got out to the boat yesterday and today and got quite a bit done. Building the engine box/console is really a lot of fun, but it takes time to hang the structure out there and epoxy it in place. As I get more of the structure in place, the frame becomes stronger and looks better. I have the frame on the port side of the box in place and am starting to add the skin to that frame. This part will be fixed and the movable part of the box will "mate" to it.

I have also started the deck supports for the decking on the starboard side and behind the engine box. We are planning to make the console/steering stand at the after end of the engine box and will probably use the after deck as the seat for the captain/coxswain. Access to the open deck and forward will be around the engine box on the starboard side. That walkway/deck will be about 3" above the grey deck in the pictures.

Here are some shots of the boat as it sits today:

post-256-129497698167_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497698178_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497698193_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497698203_thumb.jpg

That's very probably a water line to cool the stuffing box.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I understood that it was for water lubrication, rather than cooling, in the new shaft seals (so that you don't need the old fashioned stuffing box which had to leak a little).

Cheers

Peter HK

Steve,

I live in Brisbane, Queensland. As the ad over here says beautiful one day perfect the next.

I was reading through William Aitkens original spec for this boat calling for an engine doing 2000 rpm and a 10 x 12 in prop.  Is the Westerbeke capable of doing in excess of 2000 rpm at top speed, or was that the only box available with this model?

Eric