Rescue Minor Under Construction

Steve Day

Paul,

Interlux Brightside primer. It was applied with a roller and I tipped it with a foam brush (more for the practice than anything else). It took just short of a quart to cover the hull with one coat. I have lightly sanded it and will put a second coat on later this week.

Color coat next.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Steve

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am attempting to sell the boat and maybe finish it for someone or either they can finish it. I posted the boat in the classified on this site and have it on CraigsList. With the economy on shaky ground and with the instability of the healthcare industry which is being assaulted at every turn, its quite possible that we will be reduced to rubble if the anticipated cuts which actually began last year and now this month goes into affect. So we are downsizing.

Mike,

I'm sending you a personal e-mail in a few minutes.

I got the second coat of primer on the boat today and we are planning to apply color coat tomorrow. "Turn-over" time is fast approaching.

Right now, we are planning to get the "loaded water line" on the hull. Then masking and painting first color coat, with the second color coat on Sunday. Maybe bottom paint next week and turn over after that.

Anybody in the area interested in helping us turn it over? I think we have a can or two of beer around to help folks enjoy the occasion (after we get it turned).

Steve

We got the first color coat on the boat from the waterline up. It looks pretty good, in our estimation.

We used Brightside Steel Gray for the color. It went on quite easily and the "roll and tip" method provided a nice finish. 2nd coat coming tomorrow.

Here are a couple of pictures of the boat after paint this morning: :grin: :grin:

post-0-129497639507_thumb.jpg

post-256-12949769588_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497695891_thumb.jpg

Steve:

That's great!. Another milestone reached. I gather from the photos that the inside of the bottom and side panels were coated with epoxy prior to attaching to the framework? (sorry if I have missed that part) Or you worked really fast after turning it over :)  (probably not)

Sincerely:

Paul

Paul,

The panels were coated on both sides before assembly, so you are correct. We have a little work to coat all of the ribs, but that is minor compared to having to coat all of the inside of the hull. We are now starting to work on the all of the little details we were not able to do with the boat upside down.

Steve

Hey Everyone,

We had a good day today. We got the mounting beams for the engine in place and the shaft tube installed in the boat. We're still working on epoxy coating the unfinished portions of the interior, but we almost have that completed too.

Next step is to get the prop shaft and prop in place and the engine installed.

Here are some pictures of the boat taken today.

post-256-129497696168_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497696178_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497696186_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497696194_thumb.jpg

This week wasn't much better than the last one. I was working over at West Marine 4 days - which is more than I bargained for when I agreed to work there. I had to remind them that I only signed on for two to three days a week.

We did get half of the foredeck glued in place today. We also "dry fit" the floors for the interior decking. We are in the process of procuring shaft, prop, rudder, plumbing, and electrical for the engine installation and hope to start on that stuff soon.

Here are a couple of shots of the foredeck and floors:

post-256-129497697536_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497697549_thumb.jpg

It's bad enough that the weather gets in the way of building and sailing - When work is piled on top of that it's a wonder anybody gets anything done.

The boat is looking better and better.  Keep up the good work!  And keep sending the updates :)