Rescue Minor Under Construction

Steve Day

Wally and I were able to get to the shop together today and put the first two pieces of planking on the side of the boat at the stern. We were slowed down by some errors in the dimensions of the frames where we had to glue small pieces onto two of the frames. These adjustments were made on frame 11 and the planking was put on. Frame 2 had the pieces glued on today and will be ready for planking on the forward section before Thursday.

Between Hurricane Ida's approach and our work and meeting schedules, we won't get a chance to work together until Thursday.

Hurricane Ida is approaching our coast and all of the models I have seen are predicting landfall at the mouth of Mobile Bay sometime Monday night or Tuesday morning. We were just told that the storm is now a Category 2, but it is predicted to weaken as it comes ashore. There is a storm surge predicted at about 4 to 6 feet in Mobile Bay, but that will depend on where the eye actually comes ashore. We are hoping and praying that the storm will be a non-event.

Here are a couple of pictures that I took of the boat today.

Steve

post-256-129497691173_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497691175_thumb.jpg

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We haven't blown away yet!  :D

The storm will make landfall around midnight tonight as it is turning into an extra-tropical storm. Looks like we will get a lot of rain with winds up to 50 knots or so. We doubled lines on the boat this morning as a precaution and are going to ride it out here at the house.

More to come on the morrow.

Steve

As we had hoped and prayed, the storm was a non-event for us personally. Our 40 footer weathered the NW winds quite well with no damage. The wind had her heeled over in the slip, but the mooring lines held her away from dock and pilings. The other boats in the water that we work with also came through just fine.

The neighbors just to the north of our marina lost about 1/3 of their pier to the NW winds and waves, and there was damage to several of the piers north of the marina. The hotel (we keep the boat in the Grand Hotel Marina) lost some railing along the seawall to the waves.

We got 2.78" of rain and winds of 35 40 knots.

The eye of the disintegrating storm passed over us at about daybreak. Most of the damage came after the eye when the wind switched over to the NW quadrant.

Steve

I finally got out to work on the boat today. I was figuring that we would be working on the final shaping of the forward ribs and planking from the stem back to the existing side planking. I got there to find that Wally had cut and made the initial dry fit of the tunnel planking for the starboard side. The bend is quite interesting and the cuts are intricate, so we need to make a few adjustments before we glue the planking in place. I was able to shape the forward ribs so that we can fit the forward planking tomorrow and Saturday, along with the tunnel planking. Could be an interesting couple of days with a lot of work accomplished.

Here are a couple of pics of the dry fit tunnel planking.

Steve

post-256-129497691408_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497691411_thumb.jpg

We got a good day's work in today and managed to get the stern "tunnel" planking on the boat. We also cut and dry-fit the bow planking from the sheer to the chine. There are a couple of adjustments to make to that planking and we will glue that to the frames sometime next week. It doesn't look like too much is happening until you start to plank.  8)

I am beginning to wonder whether anyone is interested in this boat because there have been precious few comment from you guys. Are you looking at the thread? Should I continue to post pictures?

Here are some shots of the boat at the end of the day today.

Steve

post-256-129497691414_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497691417_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497691419_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497691422_thumb.jpg

I'm following with great interest as well Steve...and still looking forward to sneaking over to the secret barn if I can time it for when you're working on it.  I've been wrapped up with work for the last few weeks.  Please do keep the pictures coming.  The rescue minor is a build I see in my future, and yours and Wally's project is making a fantastic reference.  I'll be sure to chime in more frequently.

Y'all seem to be making excellent progress.

Any more thoughts on what you are going to use for power? 

Larry

Larry,

We are looking for something in several places. We are hoping something appears at a decent price at the right time for us to buy it before it delays the build.

We're still thinking 20 to 25 horsepower diesel. Possibly Yanmar or Kubota.

We'll just have to see what turns up.

Steve

Sorry about the earlier pictures.  :(  I am using Picasa and just used the default sized thumbnail settings. I made the new ones as large as I could and still keep them under 256 Kb. I'll make all of the future ones this size.

I want you guys to see what is happening Wally's barn.

Steve

We have made quite a bit of progress in the past few days. Wally was able to get the bow sections glued in place and the one intermediate section from the chine to the sheer. We cut, fit, and glued the starboard bottom piece in place tonight. It is starting to look more like a boat!  :grin:

Here are some pictures of the boat as she sits tonight.

Steve

post-256-129497691638_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497691659_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497691673_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497691687_thumb.jpg

post-256-1294976917_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497691712_thumb.jpg

Yeah, it looks kinda weird all right. We are having an interesting time bending the 3/8 plywood. I can now see how hard it would be to bend 3/4 stuff. With the parts all epoxied on to ribs that will stay in, it will be a stiff boat.

I installed the little section on the starboard side that goes back to the prop area and took all of the excess material off the bottom planking today. It's really starting to look pretty good. Forgot the camera, so I don't have pics.  :(

More to come after the weekend,

Steve