Rescue Minor Under Construction

Steve Day

Well, we finally got to the point where something worth taking a picture has happened.

Wally and I got two frames together and have them laying up against the wall. All of the other frames are cut and stacked on the workbench and are awaiting assembly.

Here are some pictures of the shop, the unassembled frames and the two frames that are built.

It is slow getting started, but we are under way.

Steve

post-256-12949768861_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497688909_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497688911_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497688913_thumb.jpg

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update:

We now have 11 of the 12 frames glued up and standing in the back of the shop. One more to go tomorrow and then we clean out the shop and build the jig for the frames.

We may have a boat shape this week! Pictures to come when we get the frames in place.  :grin:  :cool:

Steve

Guest wlathem

Frames are Cypress. Some of the frames toward the stern are made of 7 parts due to the radical hull design back there. Steve was talking about installing the small block Ford (289) I have setting in the back instead of the 25 or so HP diesel that should go in it. I was thinking about a Berkley pump on the back of the small block. It might be a good thing we are just thinking about it!

Wally - (the only other person that knows the secret location)!

Well now, progress of large pieces of straight wood being cut into small pieces to make big pieces shaped into curved pieces. I heard it said its better than breaking glass and putting back together too.  8) Hurump, whats that sound again, a big tree falling in the forrest with no one around to hear it. :sad: Thanks for sharing Steve. We will be watching closely.

I really had a success yesterday. I was dreading the hunt for a piece of oak at the local lumberyards. It needed to be oak and a "full" 2 x 6, and it is impossible to find that kind of thing at the "big box" stores. I just didn't know about the local yards.

As I was driving over to a friend's office to pick up a computer, I drove past a yard that deals in such things as trailer flooring, equipment mats, and other large dimensioned lumber. I went in and, about 20 minutes later drove out with the oak pieces necessary to make the stem piece and stern piece for the prop shaft, and the knees that support them.

The stem is now in position on the frame and the stern piece is epoxy laminated and ready to be placed in position today. The 14" band saw earned its cost yesterday.

Forward progress is a good thing!

Steve

I'm surprised Larry Brewer hasn't weighed in yet.

Just a temporary absence, Steve.   I've been working out of town and have neglected my boatbuilding (as well as catching up on the forum) the last few weeks.  I'll drop a note soon for permission to view the progress.  Thanks for the pics.  That eased my bbv withdrawal symptoms.

Larry

Welcome to the forum Wally!  Glad to know that your secret barn now has coordinates

Steve,

I will be following this thread while you build.  I'm really loving the Rescue Minor and Atkins Sea Bright boats. 

I only just found out about them from a thread on another board about a newly built production boat called the Oyster Cracker.  There was a news story from a Tampa newspaper about this boat, and it had a link to the company's website.  From there I found the Rescue Minor, which has lead me to this site.  I cannot wait to see your boat as it is being built.  Please please please include a lot of pictures.

Take care.

Joe

Well, after over a week away from the boat build, I spent a good portion of today working on it.

Wally had cut the keel planking while I was gone and we glued and screwed it in place today. After placing it, we beveled the sides of the keel to prepare for the next planking. We still need to do a bit more on that, but it is mostly ready.

I also added reinforcement to the stern "block" to better secure it. You can see the progress in the photos.

Joe, Do you live in St. Petersburg? Welcome to the forum. I hope we can help you get started in boatbuilding. If you have any questions, please ask. Someone here can probably help.

Steve

post-256-129497689824_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497689832_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497689834_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497689837_thumb.jpg

Joe, Do you live in St. Petersburg?

Steve, no, I don't live in St. Petersburg.  The picture under my name is of my daughter Alyson, and it was taken by my wife when they were in St. Petersburg, Russia a few years ago.  I actually live in a town called Margate, NJ, which is on the same island (Absecon Island) as Atlantic City.

Thank you for adding more photos.  I will be checking this thread often.