Shaving my boat...

ScottWidmier

This is the new boat I am building and, no, it hasn't suddenly grown a crop of hair  :lol: .  Rather, I have found at the stage where the epoxy is still a little bit soft and advantage to taking a sharp chisel and using it to knock off the high spots caused by the filler used to thicken the epoxy.  Really helps knock down on the sanding. 

Another note is on using dynel cloth which helps abrasion resistance on the boat...it drinks epoxy like crazy!  It also cures with all sorts of hard points and a raised edge.  I found using a chisel (old one) helps knock down these points and really helps in fairing the ridge on the edge to the hull.  Really happy with the results!  My new boat of my own design, plans and photos undisclosed on purpose, has a completely flat bottom with no protrusions like a keel or runners so I ended up putting the cloth over the entire bottom.  Probably added a few pounds..not good..but does take some of the worry out of beaching the boat.

As for my top secret design...you have to either come to the puddle duck world championships on October 10th at Lake Allatoona or to the Florida 120 in order to see it!  :P

Next Florida 120 is May 13th to the 16th 2010.  This is the weekend after mother's day and will be the traditional day for this event until people don't want to do it anymore!

Dynel is already on so no weighing.  I like carefree beaching and I already had the cloth so not using it wasn't an option.