Interesting boat

Designer

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At first glance, it looks like a version of Southern Skimmer.....with the cabin extended aft and a sugar scoop transom.

Can't quite make it out from the photo, but it looks like something funny is going on with the rudder, either a shaft hung spade rudder mounted inboard, or a regular spade rudder mounted on one of the aft bulkheads in a well.

And judging from the size and amount of lifelines, either the skipper is terrified of water or this boat is intended for offshore work.

I can see in the bow a likeness to the Core Sounds - no chine at the stem and perhaps that's a smooth continuous curve without ever becoming straight.

Where was the boat spotted?  Any other information - looks like an interesting boat.

Googling around to try to appear more astute than I am, I can't find anything quite like it.  Whatever it is, it doesn't seriously injure the eyes.  The lifelines are a bit jarring to my thinking, but I'm sure they are effective at seining the sailors from the sea in a knockdown.

I think Tom Lathrop is right.

Probably not an EC challenger:   (1) No apparent rowing station/s.*  (2) Weight-- If it is a CS20 (modified), it likely has weighted CB (no CB horn in the cabin), and weight also added by addition of the generous cabin and roof hatch, lifeline hardware, transom extension, and rudder system.   I'm wondering if there is weight in the keel, given that lifelines were added.

Take away the lifelines and I like the looks.

Is there an anchor well in the bow??

Apteryx, I'm not sure about "no chine at the stem".  I think there may well be a chine at the stem but for me the picture is too fuzzy to be sure.

(*  Unlikely but possibly in EC Class 6:  electric powered propellor with battery charged by human power only (e.g., by pedaling to turn a generator.))

If that's an EC boat, the crew should toast their competitors with crisply chilled mineral water before sailing off in their blue blazers - assuming you could launch according to EC rules that would be quite the luxury liner in the crowd!

The masts appear to be three piece units, Core Sound-style.

A cliff-hanger we have here...

Hello all from Alaska,

I am the builder of the "interesting boat" in Graham's note and with his encouragement I am responding:

I appreciate all of your comments and "guesses". I think some of you like what she looks like--we are pleased with her lines and when we launched her last Saturday we got a cheer from a crowd that gathered near the dock at Finger Lake in Alaska (Maybe they were just cheering that we got her out of the way so that others could launch :lol:)

Okay, (drum roll)...for the answer: she is a CS17 Hull #199. I extended the effective water line by adding a reverse transom skirt making the boat 20 foot long at the waterline. I added a cuddy based on Graham's EC22 and a motor well based on the Princess. I wanted a simpler rudder so I modified the rudder to a kickup blade hung in a rudder box and held in place with shock chords. I can lift the rudder blade when transporting, storing or when I want to motor or beach her. I do have oar locks. The mast are two piece: alumin lower with clear fur upper. I used sail tracks.

Here in Alaska a motor is essential, so I added the motor well and centered it forward of the transom so that the motor weight would be better distributed. An added benefit is the props stay in the water and wash over the rudder if left in place when motoring. Now about the lifelines...the stanchions are 18 inches high and the line is a single 5/16" Sampson line (5200 lbs load) which floats. With waters hovering around 37 degrees lifelines are required for any serious sailing in blue water. 

Now about her performance, last week for our maiden voyage we had very light winds but she still performed very very well--very fast. Can't wait to take her out in 15 to 20 knot winds...

Regards to you all,

Bob Clayton

"Alaska First Attempt"

Oh...by the way I started construction in June 2008. Thanks to Graham for all of his help and for the wonderful hull design.

post-1843-129497686898_thumb.jpg

Hello all from Alaska,

I am the builder of the "interesting boat" in Graham's note and with his encouragement I am responding:

I appreciate all of your comments and "guesses". I think some of you like what she looks like--we are pleased with her lines and when we launched her last Saturday we got a cheer from a crowd

Regards to you all,

Bob Clayton

"Alaska First Attempt"

Great job and a great looking boat there Bob!

Here's hoping you can find time to post more pics - I for one am very interested in hearing what you did with the cabin and interior arrangement.

Also, please tell us the story behind the sails you are using.

Congrats,

TomH

Bob,  

"Interesting boat" could be in the running for the year's greatest understatement !!!    

Beautiful work!   It is no wonder why the crowd cheered at first launch.    

Please, please, please....  we cannot come to Alaska to see "First Attempt",  so please give us an extensive tour of your boat in photos and narrative.    

We on the B&B forum would dearly love to see all the details of your numerous innovations and artfully built boat,  and hear all about the performance advantages and disadvantages (if any) you realize.

--Paul