Princess Sharpie 28

PeterP

• 2 months later...

Slowly getting back up to speed after my surgery. The first picture shows the port 20 gal water tank all plumbed in. It took a several tweaks to get that sorted out. Its twin to starboard is being framed in even as we speak. I am really excited about the ice box. I was bit worried when I poured the first batch of foam since I did not get the anticipated expansion. But the thing seems working just fine. Last Sunday I filled it with just on 100# of soft ice. Each day - to simulate usage- I would open it in the morning and in the afternoon. At 5PM each day- Happy Hour - I drew off the melt water through a valve in the bottom- measure the volume and put it in a styrofoam box with warm bottled beer. The volume and temperature were enough to chill two bottles in about 30 to 40 min. On top of that - all that melt water can be used as rinse water, shower water or in a pinch filtered and boiled for tea. That boost my water capacity significantly by 15/16 gals. After 7 days exactly the box is still 2/3 full of ice. I am adjusting my hopes from 10 days to close to 14. I feel it would be feasible to get easy two weeks with some hard ice blocks in the mix.

post-424-0-14386400-1313973006_thumb.jpg

post-424-0-69707200-1313973024_thumb.jpg

post-424-0-71058400-1313973044_thumb.jpg

post-424-0-09910500-1313973078_thumb.jpg

post-424-0-80379700-1313973097_thumb.jpg

Edward, sorry I don't really have any drawings. I am doing my own thing with Graham jogging by elbow from time to time. There will be three permanent bunks - V-berth and a generous pilot in the main cabin. No more. My take is - if you build 'em they will come and I am bit apprehensive about them coming all at the same time. This is not that kind of boat. It's about a comfortable cruising boat for a couple with an occasional overnight guest + one more in the cockpit in a pinch. Put too many people in a sardine can, throw in some bad weather and the fun is gone before you know it. That's not even talking about overwhelming the head etc. The boat is VERY ROOMY noticeably so even as compared to 26 -ask all those who have seen it- but again we are talking two three people max. The extra 2 feet of length add a huge internal volume and the super low center board case frees up a lot of internal space as well. PeterP

Edward,

I had posted a sketch for one possible layout for the P28 in a previous page (page 2) of this topic. Each builder will come up with their own layout considering their needs as well as previous builds. Peter courageously is on his own since he's the firts. It looks like he's doing a great job.

http://messing-about.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6437-princess-sharpie-28/page__st__20

While in NC last week, I was lucky enough to get a chance to inspect Peter's work. Impressive!

I too have been considering building a P28, although I am thinking of the hard chine version from plywood. This is only one of several layout options I've considered:

Posted Image

Inside the major bulkheads between the V berth and aft end of the cabin, is where all the layout possibilities reside. Peter's version, with the CB dropped down into the keel, opens up more options than the stock version, which has the CB trunk inside the cabin, making up the face of the port side galley.

My version is very similar to his as far as berths are concerned. V berth and generous pilot berth on the starboard side. If you wanted one more sleeping berth short term, you might consider a self inflating backpackers air mattress on the cabin sole. I think a big mistake most commercial boat builders make is trying to market sleeping space to the detriment of useable cabin space. Personally, I'm going to be working hard to find space for a comfortable reading chair rather than more berth space.

Beyond that, it gets into a matter of personal taste and needs. Peter is putting a lot of water tankage in his boat, but less battery capacity than I'm planning on. Same with his wonderful ice box. Others would skip that entirely, opting for a plastic cooler or no ice at all.

He is also correct about the extra 2 feet over the Princess 26. It really does open up the boat in terms of head room, berth space, etc.

Well, I am officially shutting down my ice box test run after 18 days. I quit draining the melt water when Irene hit but when I looked in this morning there was still a good pile of ice in the bottom- probably 4-5#. Good enough to chill a six pack or make a pitcher of G&T. I am tickled pink. I feel that with a mix of soft & block ice I could go 3 weeks. That is not bad. I know blocks are not always available but when I can get some I'll be in clover for a good while. PeterP

• 2 months later...

With the last years tax refund burning a hole in my pocket I decided to buy the auxiliary: fourteen horse Kubota diesel as re-engineered by Beta marine. All this happened last Spring and was a bit premature to be sure -but with the tsunami wrecking the Japanese economy I became worried that stuff would get too pricey or unavailable - so I got it. It's been sitting in the garage since then and I have been scratching my head about stuff like shaft alignment, boring 8 deg HOLE! through perfectly good and solid boat bottom etc etc.Now I am on the verge of putting the little donk in its place of toil. I have some more pictures. First shows the engine and beds layout. Second shows my home made boring bar/jig and third shows the engine beds all glassed in with the 1 5/8 stern tube awaiting epoxy. All perfectly lined up on the string. Regards PeterP

post-424-0-67572800-1321662013_thumb.jpg

post-424-0-30721300-1321662088_thumb.jpg

post-424-0-99338400-1321662109_thumb.jpg

It will be good to have that extra pair of hands - even on a sixteen footer. The fast epoxy you don't really need. It sped things up for me in winter - but all of that can be worked around using regular mix and careful scheduling. In fact switching between mixing ratios can lead to mishaps -as I can well testify. Good luck with your build. PeterP

Peter,

I am interested in your boring jib, diameter of hole and length that you bored. I made wood birdsmouth mast for my boat and put blocking at the bottom and 6'-8' into the mast. I have what is probably a dream to wire some lights to the top of one or both of my masts but am worried about blowing a hole in the side of the mast. Blocking goes from bottom, 3' up stops and starts again from 6'-8'. I have a feeling this is nearly impossible to do on my own but thought it would ask the question anyways.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom, I basically agree with Chris except the way I read your post your mast is already made I think. Hard to get the table saw in there now to cut the dadoes. I only bored through 16" where it counted. But honestly, even if I messed up and the bit wondered off say half an inch - no big deal. Epoxy is just wonderful. You don't have that luxury though.I would not attempt to bore out a mast. No way. My starter bit was one inch auger tacked onto a 1/2 in steel bar. The boring bar was 3/4 in black pipe with 1/4 in dia bolts tapped into the end. Heads ground off to provide a good shearing action. Advantage being that by screwing the bolts in/out you can fine tune your bore and at the end of the day the pipe gets recycled into a pipe clamp. With augers you only get one size and they are not cheap in the sizes I need. Did you think about running a fine saw down the middle - cutting the slot and then re-gluing? Good luck PeterP

• 3 weeks later...

One step forward, two backwards. That's the way it goes sometimes. The chart table cabinet underwent several modifications the last of which were conduit snakes for the various light fixtures up front. While I was at it I decided to add another drawer to the S-board settee/berth. Trading good buoyancy volume for stuff space. Hope I don't come to regret it later. The little diesel is in. Need to order the shaft and PSS seal to finalise the alignment. Everything looks good so far. About where I had hoped to be at this point. Not perfect but good/workable. Cheers PeterP

post-424-0-20038300-1323382740_thumb.jpg

post-424-0-37371800-1323382867_thumb.jpg

post-424-0-91692600-1323382923_thumb.jpg

post-424-0-45359400-1323382968_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

How easily could this design be modified to have a catalina 28' style bed under the cockpit? Trying to figure out how hard it would be to sleep 3 kids and two adults in this comfortably. I really liked the layout on the Benatou 26.5 with the two aft doors for head and bed. The cabin extended after past the hatch boards so room to stand in head and room to stand to get undressed in aft cabin.

If I could get someone to build the hull for me this would be a fun boat to build. I don't have room/time to build hull and filt etc.

Peter,

I just realized how much easier it is to build everything in before the deck goes on. I finished rosebud from a fiberglass hull and deck and remember the controtions to get to everything.

Don't forget to make sure you will be able to access things after the deck is built.

Edward,

I think Peter would agree, building the hull actually doesn't take much time compared to all the other items. The stations are set up based on a square grid structure. The hull and deck are big areas with lots of similar tasks that you simply keep doing until your done. The time gets eaten up when you go to the interior and mounting deck cleats, hatches etc. Every task is different, takes time to plan, fit and build. You're working on a curved surface with imaginary straight lines down the middle. The number of components and systems is mind-boggling. And the tedious finish work, arghh!

• 4 weeks later...

This one is for all those Santa deniers I guess. Santa IS, still, doing his stuff for all the GOOD girls and boys. The reason he does stuff for me is not because I happen to be particularly good but because my wife is part elf. So I got a shaft and a prop for Christmas. The fact that it only just arrived a week ago I don't want to dwelve on. I'll come back to the shaft& prop in just a sec. First the seat back-rests. It took a while to put into effect the ideas I had. I wanted rests that flip up easily to allow access to the storage behind. Naturally, the starboard side rests have to come up to allow full width on the berth. The pictures show the final product. I like it so far- we'll see how it works in real life. Next, I had to pull the diesel one more time. I spent gobs of time making sure the beds were bang on the money and when I put it all together it looked JUST SO SWEET. The problem was the set up was adjustable in only one dimension. Like Graham says: every time you think there's even chance of success you're most likely 90% wrong. So I pulled the donk and notched the beds 1/4" to give me some more play for the final alignement. Now we are back to the shaft. Boring out for the stern tube was only the beginning and I can see why some people develop such a dislike of engines and things of that nature. In a nutshell this is what I've accomplished so far. Ran a shaft up a stern tube and built a strut for the said shaft. I reckon I have probably close to four days worth of work in that. The number of times I climbed in and out of the boat to check the latest iteration of tweaks and adjustments is beyond count. Hopefully, things will go smoothly in the welding shop tomorrow and I'll have it all together later on this week. Be good PeterP

post-424-0-62103400-1328662566_thumb.jpg

post-424-0-63942900-1328662589_thumb.jpg

post-424-0-63252900-1328662615_thumb.jpg

post-424-0-99776300-1328662637_thumb.jpg

post-424-0-76073300-1328662680_thumb.jpg