Princess Sharpie 28

PeterP

Joe, you are exactly right on my English. It is hard to follow sometime - I've been told that before. I like the word bower because it seems to describe the subject succinctly. Forward -sleeping - quarters versus bower.You be the judge Bower as in the bow, Bower as nest like, Bower as in lady's boudoir because undoubtedly She will target it for feminine touches i.e. "window treatments and such. Airhead on the other hand is a proprietary name. Brand of composting head. No holding tanks. It is situated against the aft cabin bulkhead. Inside the cabin next to the companionway. When I re-read the post- Bower and Airhead- it really hit me in the face. Sure sounds like something you'd hear on Country radio. Considering that I've just picked up playing button accordeon I sense a whiff of Providence. If I could only find a fiddle player who does not mind being called Airhead we could have something going there. What do you think? How is that EC going? PeterP

In general I think following your muse is a good thing.

The Bower and Airhead. Perhaps you could perform at this falls Mess About.

Anyway don't let it take too much time away from the Princess.

My EC has been hibernating up in Rhode Island while I have spent the winter in Virginia. The daffodils are up and we have started preparing for our migration north. I have her sails and hope to have a boat in the water this summer.

• 3 weeks later...

This has been a rough week. I am really glad to see this stuff finally hung in the boat. Week started well enough - nice weather - with some three coaters ( roll a coat at 9AM second at 1PM and third at 5) Then it all kind of got away from me. It got cold - which I hate and then I had a couple of "mishaps". Screwed up the top carlin for the cabin side and misglued one 1x2 inside the anchor well. Did more remodeling than building. But all's well that ends well. PeterP

post-424-0-99508600-1301440170_thumb.jpg

post-424-0-64753500-1301440189_thumb.jpg

Peter: Have you made a bad mix of epoxy on this project? I only ask because I'm building my third boat and had just recently patted myself on the back for having perfect success with my epoxy work. Today I just discovered the 2nd bad mix in less than 1 week. I do this at least once on every build. If you haven't , I hope I don't jinx you.

How tall will the centerboard trunk be?

Sam

Sam I've been there with bad mix. At one stage I had 2:1 -3:1 and 5:1 going so as you can imagine I ended up having to re-do some stuff. I try to keep things as simple and consistent as I can and always make sure stuff is cured before moving on. That way I don't have to tear out half the boat to "remodel". The top of the centerboard case is in place - you can see it in the bottom of the boat- 5 3/4" bellow WL - all that is missing is a 3/4" cap. The board will be a long and narrow blade - mostly buried in the keel when retracted. PeterP

Looks GREAT Peter!! Got my adrenaline running looking at your progress. Can not wait to to start on mine. They will be two totally different designs but similar in some ways. I dont know if you have seen my recent posts, we have bump up the length to 28 and the beam a little over 9 feet. Mostly for creature comforts.

Anyway your build is a inspiration thanks.

Scott

Put in a quick and dirty corner post to my cabin top. Saved me a lot of time messing with compound angles and cutting rabbets etc etc. To make up for the time I gained on the corner post I decided to make my own louvered door for the head. Not a good trade. Louvered doors take a LOTS of time if you have to hand rout them. I still have to tweak a couple of louvers. But you just can't beat louvered door for looks and airiness. PeterP

post-424-0-47064400-1302049693_thumb.jpg

post-424-0-94831900-1302049712_thumb.jpg

post-424-0-69814800-1302049728_thumb.jpg

post-424-0-53038800-1302049753_thumb.jpg

post-424-0-83343900-1302049767_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

The cabinetry is slowly taking shape. Making the icebox was a bit more involved than I had anticipated. Much sliding of partitions back and forth- recalculating of volumes - adjusting foam thickness etc etc. The final product is a 26 gal box with 4 in. insulation. I know it's 26 gal because I poured 26 gallons of water into it. Built in drain that will keep the ice dry and at the same time provide cooling water for the daily drink. I am hoping to be able to put about 100# of soft ice in with just under 2 cuft of stores. With 4" insulation all around + good fitting lid -I would like to get 10 days plus out of my ice supply. Looking at the box you'll notice the aluminium finish. It is to make the box IR opaque. Added tweak to improve efficiency. Unfortunately, when I poured the foam I did not get the optimal expansion. I ended up short on total volume. I calculated having 5% excess and ended up about 10% short. How that affected the R value remains to be seen. The next picture shows me glassing a 7ft tube for the C/B pennant. Apparently, it is another flash of inspiration from that bubbling cauldron of invention that is my friend Tom Lathrop. I always made my fibreglass tubes the simple way. Wrap the aluminum with plastic, wind the glass tape around it, wet out, let it set up ,pull off the mandrell. Apparently, with longer tubes there have been instances of plastic bunching up and preventing the 'glass sliding off. Hence, Tom's invention: lay 1"strips length-wise before wrapping To pull the cured tube off you start with the strips - each removed strip increases the annular gap thereby decreasing the chance of a bunch up. It worked but not quite - none of my strips pulled entirely. But the tube came off very well. Last picture shows the port side as of today. Ice box not quite insulated, 20 gal tank under the settee (one of two- the other one to s/board) that needs to be plumbed in. My two burner/oven Force 10 came today and that will go in next. Hanging locker with louvered door. The Beta 14 diesel was delivered last week -so that will have to be addressed soon. The sink should be here next week. PeterP

post-424-0-69323500-1304987916_thumb.jpg

post-424-0-52410500-1304987946_thumb.jpg

post-424-0-18528900-1304987970_thumb.jpg

Hi Peter,

Yes, we bought a Krogen Manatee 36 trawler we named Mango Mama. It's time for us to enjoy quiet evenings and leave the adventure to you enterprising souls. We're bringing her back into excellent condition. She is about the most comfortable boat imaginable that is still a half-decent trawler. For anyone interested, I have a photo site set up at My link

I don't think Bruce Van Sant ever owned a Krogen. From his website, his last boat is a Schucker 440 Motor sailer without the sailing rig. Previous boats were Hallberg-Rassys and a Yankee Clipper ketch. You might be thinking of Skipper Bob who wrote a series of waterway guide books. I think he owned a Krogne Manatee.

I don't want to hijack your wonderful thread on the Princess 28. So, if anyone is interested in more info on our trawler, please send a PM.

My two sinks have finally arrived. I will have a 8 in. round railroad style in the head and 16x18x8in deep for the galley. Since I got them through internet faucet supply they were a whole lot less than marine stuff. Just had to wait some since they are oddball size. Also roughed in my galley stove. For some reason I had thought that Force10 was a New Zealand outfit when I ordered it. Felt it was time to let the Kiwis have a crack at my money. Well, Force 10 is French -but I do like the French and the stuff they don't know about cooking isn't worth knowing. I think it is going to be a good one. The only thing is that for some reason they, too,employed the same Mongolian goatherd that has been playing the joke on the world writing the so called "asmbuly instrucines" for all of us DIY's. And the installation measurements (in millimeters -naturally) were for a different unit altogether! If I had know that I could've added over an inch onto my icebox. Another gallon of ice. Too bad. I guess I am lucky it did not go the other way where I had to cut things out to make it fit. This way I will have an easy access for clean up. And thus ends another exciting week in the boat shop. Off to see the scalpel wizard tomorrow for yet another shoulder repair. Wish me luck and speedy recovery.PeterP

post-424-0-15590600-1305593401_thumb.jpg

post-424-0-78689700-1305593428_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Peter I am going to visit Graham on the 14th of June to finalize things on my 28. I would love to see your build and your thoughts on building your 28. About the only thing our boats are going to have in common are strip built, cat ketch and the same Designer. But as always I think the more information I have before plugging the saw in is better.

I will be going to Grahams on the 13th and returning on the 15th, if on one of these days I may stop by and see your project it would be appreciated.

Scott