Lapwing #5 build

John Turpin

Wow, that looks nice, John.  I would say way better than my centerboard, but I've taken to disowning it.  Anybody asks what that funny board-like thing in the corner of the garage, I just explain the previous resident here had abysmal boat building skills and in a fit of despondency left his miserable centerboard in the garage when he left.  I'll throw it out, I explain, as soon as I get a moment.

Router jigs, that's the answer, I'm convinced of it.  Hmmm... Found more smileys, here's a nice one for those of us often making targets out of our own feet...  :microwave:

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little song,

A little dance,

A little centerboard lead, perchance?

I bought a big box of lead fishing sinkers and smashed them flat.  I then routed out a 3" X 3" pocket in the centerboard's foot. A little epoxy will hold it is place until it's all wrapped in cloth.  I didn't weigh it, but it's probably between 2 and 3 pounds of lead.

Note:  Someone asked me why I chose lead sinkers instead of poured lead.  Well, it was kind of the process of elimination.  Of course, melting and forming a lead disc/block would have been the best, but I don't have a way to melt lead.  So, I planned to use lead shot.  But, my local sporting goods store no longer carries reloading supplies.  I looked at a big container of BBs, but reading the label, I discovered that BBs are made of steel.  The fishing aisle provided me with a huge selection of lead sinkers.  Presto!

post-0-129497639507_thumb.jpg

I'm not familiar with the plan design. If not a NACA foil, what is it?

I'm not sure. The leading edge looks NACA"ish" and so does the trailing edge, but the center of the board is flat. In a true NACA foil, that arc doesn't really flatten out.  I'm no fluid engineer, but it looks pretty efficient to me.

John, that sure does look like a boat, and what a beauty!  With that ruler flat bottom she will plane like a WITCH!!  Extending the deckhouse all the way aft was a stroke of genius, although that completely curved deck might get slippery.

No, wait, I see the stairsteps you've engineered.  Brilliant.    :drinking:

Seriously, congrats on the progress!  Someday I'll catch up.  Slow but steady, that's me, maybe a little too much emphasis on the 'slow' part, but what wonders I'm learning.  Wood is so cool.  Lapstrakes, that looks cool, too.  :-D

I'm not familiar with the plan design. If not a NACA foil, what is it?

I'm not sure. The leading edge looks NACA"ish" and so does the trailing edge, but the center of the board is flat. In a true NACA foil, that arc doesn't really flatten out.  I'm no fluid engineer, but it looks pretty efficient to me.

I'm no engineer either, but thanks to PAR and others, I've been introduced to the wide, wide, wonderful world of 5 digit NACA foils. A decent summary is found here:

http://www.vacantisw.com/foildesign.htm

From what I can tell, a lot of Graham's CB designs are close to those 63 series foils. High speed.....low drag. A common theme found around these parts. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thats looking good John.  Should be easy to get the shape of the garboard.  I have to do some 'creative fitting' of the join between the garboard and 2nd strake at the stem - there is quite a bit of twist in the garboard.  In the end it looks fine (unless someone turns the boat over and looks carefully)

I'm going slowly with the planking and getting great help and advice from Richard W.  When I get home from this business trip, I hope to get the first two (four) planks completed and in place.  I'm blazing a new trail here and need to go slowly so I don't just ruin this expensive plywood.

But, I did make some good progress on the rudder blade.  I've also received my mast tubing, sail track and tiller stock.

post-0-129497639507_thumb.jpg

post-541-129497688558_thumb.jpg