Yesterday's Photos

Konrad

There was no wind.

But I knew that going into it, so I couldn't complain.

And it was reasonably pleasant temps in the low 80's.

Looking for enemy ships through the telescope.

We also made a pirate map of the lake in the living room before we left for the lake.

IMG_1145.jpg

My 4 yr old took some photos.

IMG_1139.jpg

I convinced the boys that cleaning the boat was "fun" and they actually were debating about who got to use the sponge the longest.

(Now that's good crew.)

IMG_1104.jpg

At the dock. 

IMG_1147.jpg

• 4 months later...

Any more pics of the steering mechanism? I'm interested in the pie-shaped tiller with many spokes.

Just kidding.

I was actually wondering how that wheel connected to the rudder. Worm gear? Seems quite close-coupled for cables and quadrant.

(I have our 2.5 year old trained to unload the dishwasher. He's not quite as good at loading it... no, son, "toss" doesn't apply to putting plates in the dishwasher)

pat.

Thank you for the kind words.

This photo is from about 9 yrs ago when the boat was brand new (and before I owned a decent digital camera).

This was down in Florida on the intercoastal waterway of Bradenton, anchored off the uninhabited Jewfish Island.

Jewfish_Island11.jpg

The steering is 100% as-designed in the Vacationer prints.  If you're unfamiliar, I can probably scan that sketch so you can see how it works.

The mast is not as-designed.  I originally constructed it as in the prints, and it's been too many years ago for me to remember why I changed it.  If it weren't in winter storage right now, I'd post a photo for you.

Konrad - if your's is a reading family - pick up a copy of Swallows and Amazons.  Your boys appear to be at the exact right age for that.

There is a pretty good movie out there too...nice little boats in it. It was produced in '74. I have an .avi of it and it runs about 750 megs. I don't know if you can find it on dvd but it should be out there...perhaps used.