Delurking

BillBrush

Hello everyone!

Well it only took me about 4 months longer than intended but I finally have my house "For Sale" which means that once it goes to "Sold" I can think about getting a new (to me) bigger boat.

I'm going to buy a boat to expedite the process of getting on the water and get my kids introduced to boats, and then I'll build one later.  (Leaning towards the Super Skipjack)

Anyway, it's obvious that there is a great deal of boating experience here so I thought I would get some opinions.

Requirements - Able to seat 4 comfortably, and 6 in a pinch.  Somewhere around 800-1200 lbs of bodies and gear.  Under 20' just simply because I need to be able to store it somewhere.  Cartoppable would be ideal, but I think it's a tall order, outside of the Snarks, and I haven't found any Sunchaser II's for sale closer than 800 miles away.

Price should be something south of $3000 unless it comes with a free divorce lawyer.

Obviously there are a billion options out there, but are there any known lemons to avoid?    There was a Newport-Lochley 18 around here, but the Craigslist post expired, which makes me a sad panda.

Anyway, I hope you don't mind the question about plastic boats, but if I'm out of line Frank can plonk me.  :)

Bill

P.S. If you need crew Konrad, let me know.  It would be cool to be on a sailboat that you can stand up in.

I'll let you know the next time I have a spot available..!  ;)

By the way...  I called up Mike at my former place of employment, and I think I have him talked into getting his Vacationer out of storage and on the water as well.

So in 3 weeks or so, we've tentatively scheduled a time to get on the water with both boats, which would be great.

I'll keep you posted.

And another thing:  We moved, so we're now down by Roca, not in the Denton area any longer.

I'll let you know the next time I have a spot available..!   ;)

By the way...  I called up Mike at my former place of employment, and I think I have him talked into getting his Vacationer out of storage and on the water as well.

So in 3 weeks or so, we've tentatively scheduled a time to get on the water with both boats, which would be great.

I'll keep you posted.

And another thing:  We moved, so we're now down by Roca, not in the Denton area any longer.

I saw you mention that in another post (I've been lurking around for about a week now.)  Congratulations on buying a place.  We had a campout for Scouts down at Wagon Train in May, and it's a nice lake, but as you mentioned the trees would make it a bear to sail in. 

Hopefully we're going to sell the Money Pit real soon now, and I can get the family moved .  Maybe this winter I can build a dinghy or something.