I enjoy wood.

Oyster

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can't wait to see this thing on the water!

Likewise and getting closer.

I am eager to run it now. The time has come to secure all the decks in place and seal the interior up and will install the engine and controls to get it ready for quick run around the block. Then I will do the rest of the topcoats if I can get some time between taking care of the elderly pop. The foward cabin will also be completely insulated for four season use, IMO. The trunk now gives me at minimum 11 inches tapering back to 14 inches for foward seating with more than ample walk around.

The enlarged toe rail-bulwalk will make it safe from the cabin foward with the a decent height for the grab rails on top of the trunk while walking foward. the bow deck will also store the anchor out of the way for easy access and use.

I used cleats for the veneer and installed divinicell foam around the perimeter.

DSC07165.jpg

DSC07168.jpg

DSC07169.jpg

This shows the amount of decking better.

DSC07172.jpg

Stranger lurking about I see..... :lol: I got the cabin all closed in and the mouldings primed and will do my good veneer before I glass the decks  since the weather is so nice for the glues.

Kinda redundant but this shows the shape and proportions with my "built in " seating foward with the trunk height now.

DSC07207.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have added a few more parts foward, nice bulwalks with teak caps and rails along side. I have both glued up with one needing to be shaped and sanded. The rubrails are also teak with one installed on the starb side. The walk around is super but needed some protection and I did not want to add any bow rail to the boat.

The next phase will be to finish the rail on the portside and ready the unfinished areas for primers.

DSC07291.jpg

DSC07293.jpg

DSC07286.jpg

DSC07278.jpg

Mike, why are the cabin sides made in two horizontal strakes?

Thats just a filler plank. I built the original structure as a two part unit in the boat because I did not have the room in the shed with the hull sides on on the interior deck since I did not know where everything would wind up. The trunk was bent on a small jig and I used 4mm for bending and laminating up as wide as possible to bend. I then combined the two components with a lamination joining the trunk and the cabin and then the exterior moulding also carries the load along the two added parts to the curved area which is also laminated mahogany and fastened in place.

Then I set the cabin and trunk to the inside height  overhead for standing up on temporary legs in the air. I also set the unit so that it would not be "falling backwards" so to speak, level with the horizon. Then I built all my storages and hull sides from around the sheer under the decks and all this gave me easy access and then installed the filler pieces which is nothing more than a filler, also foamed and insulated from the back sides. With this setup, the top half of the boat is all structual in one component and like a cap on a production boat with full access inside without a bunch of framing too. The main structure for the superstructure begins in the bottom with two main structual bulkheads secured in place.

LOL, I need to lay off the ice cream of any flavor. I primed the decks and will finish priming the house and trunk and finished sanding and shaping the cap rails of the bulwalks. I am pleased with the lines.

DSC07300.jpg

DSC07305.jpg

DSC07302.jpg

Well nuff of the bow shots. Time to move along to the painting for now finish building and rigging he cockpit station.

DSC07295.jpg