I enjoy wood.

Oyster

So another answer based on the previous two posts would be - You're already in school, go cut some wood and post some pictures and keep checking back here to see how other folks are doing things.  ;)

As far as I'm concerned, if I'm industrious enough to mess it up the first time around I'll be experienced enough to fix it the second time...

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is kind of a funny way to look at it Ken but my mistakes have taught me more than my sucesses in most cases.  The cross application of those lessions is very useful too.  I guess in this school you could say we were professional students as the term is used.  8) 8) 8)

• 3 weeks later...

Yes sirre bob, drawers are in, decks are down, rough in for my storage locker under the nice and wide walkaround, and have rough cut my linen locker and will also install shelves. You can never have enough storage.

The walkway is going to be a nice one for the old folks to navigate. I plan on installing a raised toerail too.

DSC06167.jpg

DSC06166.jpg

DSC06171.jpg

DSC06168.jpg

Mike,

You can't go around berating me for building a power boat. This one doesn't look too much like a sailboat to me.

You are making a beautiful work of art there. Keep on keepin' on!

Steve

Never ever,,,,,, ;) Sure its a saleboat, or could be. ;) ;D Thanks,

I got my door installed and the shelf inside if you look closely. I hope to be able to store enough provisions for a week's trip.

DSC06173.jpg

DSC06175.jpg

A small but important milestone update, I have installed the portable dinette seating which allows access to the side panels under the decking and additional storage. I still have some trim on the foward seating and need to install the passenger seating which will be another inovative configuation since the head is in the step box and needs to fully open up. And no I will not use a clamp to hold the seat up for the access below. I created a nice pocket for the seat back cushion too. That area will also double somewhere down the road for a portable window AC planned to fit nicely in the outside cabinet. But thats for later.

DSC06254.jpg

DSC06255.jpg

I wanted to keep the openiness feeling inside the small cabin. Sorry about the camera angle. The boat surely does not have a left lean to it for sure. ;D

DSC06258.jpg

This cabin in inclement weather will seat all the passengers I intend on carrying with the addtional convertion of the galley bar to a nice double seating arrangment..

DSC06257.jpg

Well I got the passenger seating and combination dinette worked out with a flip of a finger so that the queen can see foward with plenty of room and can convert the seat doubling as the second dinette seat. The trim needs to be installed around the parts and after shaping the supporting  mechanism on the sides.

DSC06273.jpg

DSC06267.jpg

DSC06264.jpg

Mike,

That is really looking good. I am surprised that you are going all the way to a cabin boat, but it appears you are doing an admirable job with her. I like the head under the seat.

We continue to work with the preparations for the Rescue Minor, but are still not ready to get moving quite yet.

Steve

Mike,

That is really looking good. I am surprised that you are going all the way to a cabin boat, but it appears you are doing an admirable job with her. I like the head under the seat.

Steve

thanks, crazy ain't it. Speaking about crazy folks and boats, I met this guy one time that went great lengths to build a nice little boat and when he was almost done with it took a handsaw and sawed it in half.  He did finish the boat though, but when he uses it now, he has to bolt the dang thing together. Surprising is not the word when you tell people that story. They ask me if he is nuts and I tell them no not really , he also owns a couple other  boats too, and continue to build wooden boats to this day. Go figur...... ;D

Well I installed a zero clearance table, rigging it to fold up out of the way for many reasons, and have finished trimming the galley bar-fold down extra seating and rough my storage lockers under the helm seat. I had used some of the leftover not so perfect stuff from my laminations of the top and sides to line the locker and then skinned it outside with 4mm doorskin. The top has nice sea rails and radiuses for safety when you may run into the corners, per plans of course. Every part works independant of each other so no matter how I need it for whomever is aboard it works, including access to the locker accesses under the covering boards outside.

DSC06292.jpg

No toe stumbling and no obstacles to deal with when entering and existing the seats with the  arrangement of the table support.....

DSC06304-1.jpg

DSC06303.jpg

DSC06317.jpg

DSC06319.jpg

DSC06320.jpg

I do have the seat supports along the platform trimmed out, but not in the existing shots.

The inside is pretty open to be as small as it is. One of the reasons for making the parts more versatle was to be able to have more space inside when extra seating or eating was not the order of the day. This is a shot without the trim in place on the galley.

DSC06312.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I like the hull color, Mike!  Coming along nicely.  I can see a wet hull before fall!

LOL! Forget your login over there?[insert tongue firmly against cheek] I was beginning to think that you has passed your torch to me here, as I seemed to have been sorta semi blogging to myself lately.  ;D

I have prioritized my projects and will hopefully hit the water for some shakedowns and testing before I glits it up. We have grandkids this weekend and all next week and a wedding that next weekend. So I am a bit shutdown for starting anything else except paint work for now. Thanks for checking in. I will use the top two planks yellow.

DSC06406.jpg

Thanks Mike, I was going into widthdrawl!  She is looking fantastic.  Are you sure about that yellow?  8) 8) 8)

Yep, the teak trim will be varnished, the cabin an eggshell white or simular tint, and the toe rail also varnished wood. The kick panel with the contrasting color of window trim and house moulding, all different colors of the longituals also breaks up the high freeboard height hopefully keeping the boat from looking as crappy as it could from my perspective. ;D ;)

CRAPPY???? She is a work of art Mike!!!!  I have never seen anything of yours that looked crappy.   8) 8) 8)

Thanks, but my reply centered on toning down what could be considered a big white whale because of the intended use required that the boat be higher in the freeboard and broader in my eye. Thats all, as its not a streamline type boat, only a specialty use hull that required some fattening of the shape. Hope that clears things up....

Aha t'wud be a bit much white...OK then, think blue   8) 8) 8)

Relax, leave the driving to us. ;) Take the medicine and call me at the end of the year. The thing about owning a wooden boat, you can have a new boat every year if you desire. The alternative plan was to paint it sea foam green.