First Cut! Another Vacationer started today

Jeff

We'll...after a year of looking, planning, second guessing myself and starring off into space dreaming about it...I made the first cut for the keel on my Vacationer today.

Okay...it was just one cut..but it was 30F today in North East PA...and I'm working outside! :o

Once I've got some worthy photos of posting, I'll do so.  For everyone who has been wondering what a Vacationer will cost to build, I'll be keeping a running log of actual material costs.  I've started a geocities website to share everything, and I'll post a link once it's ready.

I plan to name her the Amanda Alexandria (the middle names of my two daughters).

Thanks to everyone who's posted in the past....it's been an incredible value in helping me get to this point!

You're in good hands here.

My Vacay is now 9 yrs old.  And while it did need a facelift last year, it's still around and looks great again now.

You'll have questions.  We'll have answers.

It's not a hard boat to build.  You just treat it the same way you'd eat a bicycle:  One small bit at a time.

Thanks Konrad!

It was this forum and whole Weekender/Vacationer community that really leaned me toward the Vacationer.  I had considered designs from Glen-L, Hartley and a few others - all of which had attributes I liked, but not the absolute wealth of information that is so obviously available from everyone here (and who are so ready to share it with one another)

My only hope now is that the weather up here in the Pocono's will warm up so I can glue the keel sections up.

BTW...is there anyone out there with a Stevenson boats in my neck of the woods (the Pocono Mt./Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area of PA)?

I'm gonna share the best piece of advice I was ever given about building a boat.  It was from some old builder in the Pacific Nothwest.  Here's what he said to me:

"Don't worry about completing the boat.  If you do that, you'll never get it done.  Rather, focus on whatever small task lies directly ahead of you.  Work on that task.  Complete it.  And when you go home that night, take satisfaction in that one small task that you completed that day.  Then do that same thing the next day.  And so on.  And when you make a mistake (and you will) savor that as well.  Grab that opportunity and learn from it.  If you do those things..?  You'll complete your boat."

That was nine years and 3 boats ago for me.

Welcome to the club.

;)

OOOHHHH I am sooo good at making mistakes...If it were a professional sport, I'd be a millionaire  ;)  (my wife wills surely testify to this)

I appreciate the advice...and I'm actually looking forward to the whole process of building it (it's also been a great excuse to expand my tool collection)..and knowing myself, it will never really be done.  I'm the sort that will tinker and try to improve on it forever....

..and knowing myself, it will never really be done.  I'm the sort that will tinker and try to improve on it forever....

If you check out my signature you will find I agree with the first part.  ;D 

Not so sure the second part is a good thing.  Some stuff has already been figured out and doesn't need improving.  Wisdom is knowing when to improve and when to leave it well enough alone.  ;)

Have fun however you quantify it.  The process is hardly worth it if you don't.  And it is pure joy if you do.