Spindrift 10N Rudder

davidpm

I'm Baaak.

Started last winter but got derailed by sailing season and now I'm doing some of the final, I hope steps.

My plans for the 10N dated 3/3/05.

On the grid for the rudder say 2" squares.

In the text it says "Draw out 3" Square Grid on plywood.

I'm pretty sure we are talking a less than 10" wide rudder right?

Squares are 2". Just checking.

I bought my Gudgeons & Pintles from Graham last year and they have a 1 1/8" fork which is perfect for the top one but for the bottom one with the doubler cheek block I figure I just have to route it  in the first layer of ply. Again just checking as I sometimes make things harder than necessary.

I'm planning on gluing up a mahogany rudder about 5/8" thick. Sound about right.

Other than a couple of coats of epoxy on the inside of the 1/4" ply cheeks before final gluing what kind of finish it attempted for the inside of the rudder?

The plans call for the filler pieces being 1/16" thicker than the rudder blade.

Does that sound right for wood rudder blade coated in epoxy and varnished about 10 coats on both sides?

I wish i had a finished piece I could cut off a scrap and strip and compare finished to unfinished thickness.

As usual thanks for all your experience and comments.

I bought my Gudgeons & Pintles from Graham last year and they have a 1 1/8" fork which is perfect for the top one but for the bottom one with the doubler cheek block I figure I just have to route it  in the first layer of ply. Again just checking as I sometimes make things harder than necessary.

Other than a couple of coats of epoxy on the inside of the 1/4" ply cheeks before final gluing what kind of finish it attempted for the inside of the rudder?

The plans call for the filler pieces being 1/16" thicker than the rudder blade.

Does that sound right for wood rudder blade coated in epoxy and varnished about 10 coats on both sides?

I wish i had a finished piece I could cut off a scrap and strip and compare finished to unfinished thickness.

The routing idea will work just fine.  At least I thought so on my rudder.

I assume you are really talking about the rudder "box" or "housing"?  It wont be subject to much direct sunlight.  Mine is just epoxied inside.

1/16" would seam about right for the finished housing and finished blade.  Just finish the blade first, before building the housing.  If it is too tight it won't work at all.

I simply bent the lower pintle to fit the lower part of the rudder, no problem. I fussed with the top and bottom pins so they would stay parallel to the edge of the rudder, too. As far as clearance between the rudder blade and the "cheeks", i found some large nylon washers at the local hardware store that I let into the blade until the fit was good enough, I  think it keeps things from sticking.

-Mark

post-1407-129497681277_thumb.jpg

post-1407-129497681281_thumb.jpg