remote control model, based on CS17

Peter Batchelor

Hi all,

In the middle of 2008 we were at the National Maritime Museum, in Falmouth, UK , where our kids enjoyed sailing radio controlled models on an indoor yacht pond. They came away full of the idea of creating scale models of Kirsty Ann, our CS17.

Well, I did lots of reading about r/c model making, got out the CS17 plans and roughly worked out the figures for a 1/8th scale of the hull. I tried to keep to pretty much the same hull shape, although it now has a full deck. and several more bulkheads. Sails are pretty much to scale, though I'm contemplating reducing the size of the main. The rudder is much larger than scale, and of course there is a weighted keel, but from a distance it looks pretty good.

Sails are 3/4 oz ripstop, masts are the tapered tips from fishing rods, and the mast steps (sealed at the bottom) are from a piece of graphite arrow shaft (all left over from a previous life as a professional kite maker).

The two channel receiver and batteries are stored in a small sealed plastic tub, siliconed into the deck, with a hole drilled in the base for the servo wires. The servos are screwed and siliconed in place. As they are on the centreline it is unlikely that they will get particularly wet - the ballast in the keel is on the conservative side...

Cheers, Peter

post-0-129497639507_thumb.jpg

post-480-129497680452_thumb.jpg

post-480-129497680458_thumb.jpg

post-480-129497680469_thumb.jpg

Hi Wes,

It was Joe's boatbuilding adventures that got me thinking about doing this...  ;)

It has been a great way of getting the kids familiar with tacking, gybing, trimming to keep to a set course, etc, and lots of fun as well...

Peter

Hi Garry,

sorry for taking so long to reply. I've been off sailing around the Gippsland Lakes for a week in my CS17  ;D

I found lots of info at http://www.racingsparrow.co.nz/. Have a look at "The Boat" section of the site. There are free plans for the various sizes, which I was able to use to extrapolate the size and weight I needed for keel,  and for the size of the rudder.

Peter

Hi Garry,

The Gippsland Lakes are a series of lakes in the East of Victoria, Australia. They are separated from the sea by a strip of land that varies from perhaps 10km down to a few hundred metres, about 70km long. Quite shallow in places, it can get fairly rough, but there isn't anything like an ocean swell.

We stayed in Paynesville, at a camping ground that backs onto a canal. It has it's own launching facilities and jetties, so most of the time once you launch there you can leave your boat in the water.

We did a number of day trips - to Sperm Whale Head, Trouser Point, around Raymond Island, almost to Loch Sport, and so on. For some of the time we were in company with another boat, a Couta boat owned by friends, but they were much slower, so we did some trips on our own...

Not much more to say - perfect weather, great winds, our kids had a ball! The CS17 is a great boat to use while teaching our kids to sail.

Peter