Sailing game

lbrewer

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...course (not tacks, courses...) with Ken and Larry as we've been ramming a good portion of the Swedish coast in our attempt to get out of this corridor and back into open water...

Wait, you're RACING?!?  I thought we were invading Sweden!  Why else would I have landed 6 times on the same piece of shoreline?  ;D

Paul's got  great "team" strategy; he's using "RYD"to block all the other boats behind him.....

You've grounded six times, I've hit twice, and I think Larry might have 2 or 3 more as well.  Hydrofoils would have been a better choice for this leg...

post-1360-129497683965_thumb.jpg

I agree, since the "12/24 hour red dots" seem to be arbitrary each time I check them. Another nice feature would be a "scale" to check with as you changed the size of your screen so you'd have some idea of distances to travel before making course changes, etc.

I was reading the forum trying to get an idea of why I was running aground (3 times) after setting a course that should have let me safely pass.  It appears that the game updates your position every ten minutes, but that ten minutes may not coincide with the screen auto-update every ten minutes.  So when the screen updates, or you refresh, it may be showing where your boat was 1 second ago, or 9 minutes 59 seconds ago.  That's not so bad in the open ocean, but trying to gibe into a 3 mile wide strait at 19 knots when the position you set the course from might be 3 to 4 miles off....well.  The game apparently is averaging the course on the tracking feature more in the last couple of legs.  If you pay attention to your past track at all to see your course over ground it is very deceptive.  I've discovered crossing your fingers is very helpful ;).

Larry

Larry,

Thanks for confirming that I'm not seeing things ! I KNOW that I have set a course that should easily clear the upcoming buoy, but after an hour or so of sailing my course seems to "drift" as though there was a Westbound current! As I test I ran side by side with you last hour on the same exact course. The course lines were parallel only for 20 minutes, then they seemed to start separating.

Could be map projection, computer monitor fluctuations, etc. etc. In spite of the glitches I think it's a hell of a game when you figure that they are actually in some way keeping track of over 218,000 players who have a wide variety of game variables in their control. AND they do not charge to play the game..... ! Still they must be doing well through sponsors, sales of sailing tools, etc. because I had sent them a note awhile back asking if we could buy some sort of T shirt if we finished the race ( something like"I virtually sailed around the world in my pajamas"type of thing) and they said, they had considered the idea, but at this point in time there is no race t-shirt planned.

Docpal,

I think you hit the nail on the head - Map projection is everything.  A difference in starting position will send two boats on different courses due to great circle routes and blah blah...  It sure would be nice if you could turn on a lat-lon grid and a zoom-sensitive compass rose.  Sorry - Can't stop to talk now... I have to see if I've run aground again yet  ;D

Does anyone know what "1400 hours local time" IS for starting the last leg on the 25th? Since I've missed most of the starts in the entire race I'd like to try and see what it's like to be there for a change...

"local time" is GMT+2.  If you click on "Play" and wait for everything to load you can look at the clock at the top of the map screen.  It currently displays "local time" as about 22:30 but my local time in North Carolina is 16:30 so if you're on Eastern time the game starts at 0800.

Wind updates this time around are 0200 and 1400 Eastern time.

Local time is CEST aka Central European Summer Time, their equivalent of daylight savings. CET is GMT +1 so CEST is GMT +2.  EST is GMT -5 and EDT is GMT -4.  To make a long story short,  EDT is 6 hours earlier than CEST.  There was a point during a previous leg when the USA went to daylight savings, but Europe waited another 3 weeks or so, then it was really confusing  ???

Yeah, the new wind update time really stinks.  Fortunately it is a short leg, so there won't be many.

Larry,

Ahhhh, so maybe THAT'S why you (and Wyvern) weren't showing up on my screen. It gave you a race position, but you weren't visible.

Dave,

I think I'm gonna end my virtual racing in St. Petersburg, and get back to building "Petunia" so I can really get out on the water later this year (?)