Sailing game

lbrewer

I think you have us showing up an hour early.  If I am correct, we start 12 am EST or midnight tonight.

I think you and I both are correct on the time.  12EST, 11CST etc...  is what I think as well. 

There is a countdown timer online now in the "play" section of the site in case my math is wrong.  It shows 13.5 hrs from now.

Larry

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering about that too.  I had been noticing the same kind of things as you are describing.  Apparently on your play screen, it doesn't update the position of the other boats you see as quickly as it updates your own.    When I read your post above, I checked your position and my screen showed you at a DTF of 2198 nm.  When it auto-updated about 2 minutes later.  It showed you at a DTF of 2172 nm.  I was 12 miles ahead of you on that first look.  After the update I was 4 miles behind.  Man, you must've been flying since it updates every 10 minutes!  I don't think i am going to use real-time comparisons with competitors to make short term decisions.

Larry

I don't make any short time decisions anyway.  Do a lot of that and you will always be following people, can't beat 'em from that strategy.  I think the standings stay accurate in regards to order, but all other data is often lagging behind.  Standings don't account the fact that we will all need to move to weather soon, tacking at some time in the future, then a lot will change.

All of a sudden I can no longer "see"any other boats except for the Messing about group. While that makes for a much cleaner field of view I'm wondering if it works that way every leg ( I jumped in mid way on leg 3...). Even though they claim that current has no bearing on this virtual race it seems that the starboard tack is like sailing through sludge...!

Ooops-Just logged off/logged on again and they're ALL back....

There are definitely some graphics and data issues.  The tracks it shows for some boats defies the physics of sailing.  I see some that represent sailing 25 degrees off the wind.  And these are boats near me that I have been following.  Even if the data for "you" is updated every 10 minutes other boats may or may not be.  I see some boats as ahead of me when the distance to finish is great than mine.  You may not even be where you think you are.  I guess we will find out at the finish if we actually knew where we were going.

That's happened to me twice Adla. Once I knew I was going to be away from a computer for at least 24 hours, so I set a course that would keep me from running into a land mass. I got back to just to claw off a lee shore. Then I got away from the internet again, for a half a day, with the result being I sailed in the wrong direction for several hours. I've pretty much blown this leg, but the next leg is a down hill sled ride, which should be a fair bit easier to leave unattended.

I'm thinking about maybe having my hacker buddy break into the game and give me 50% stronger winds from favorable directions only on my boat . . .

I thought I had taken the future wind into consideration and everything. But, alas - my boat just went kaput! I've been watching today - since I am back and able to check in more often - and I think there is some slippery wind changes and lee movement  :P or the forecasts are wrong. Or maybe I just think I am in my weekender  - where lee movement is common...sometimes I can gain more ground sideways than forward! hA!  ;D

a.

I haven't come to a halt yet, but close.  In case any haven't noticed, the cut off angle to the wind is 29 degrees, after which many have noticed you stop completely.  5 am and 5 pm EST are the worst times, but you can even stall from one wind cell to another.  I have come back to the game to find myself pinching a lot more than I would choose.  Having the auto-pilot on the wind option would be nice, but according to the forums it doesn't work very well. 

I'm still trying to figure out the optimum angle for going to whether.  For real boats it varies with wind speed.  I wonder how sophisticated this game is in that regard.  I keep trying to do several hour comparisons against Debutante, but he keeps splitting tacks with me  :-\

Dave,

In the news section they published something about changes to the "polars".  It looks like between the last leg and this leg they changed the boat performance so you can't go 1 knot when you're just a few degrees off the wind anymore (in irons=0 knots instead of being blown directly downwind - Negative boat speed).  Anyway, they show charts that correlate boat speed to the angle of wind AND the wind speed so you might want to look there.  If you don't find it in the news section let me know and I'll try to figure out where I saw the charts.

Are the 5am and 5pm times you're talking about the wind updates?  I haven't quite figured out when they change the wind map here on the East Coast (you're on East coast time arent you?)  I thought it was 6am and 6pm GMT+1:00 but that's a different time here.

Wind is updated at 11 am and pm CET (Cental European Time) aka GMT+1.  That correlates to 5 am and pm EST.  If you look at the top of the chart it tells you when it was last updated.  Keep in mind they use 23 h for 11 pm.

Gonna go look for those charts.  Problem is, my trig is a bit rusty, so making good use of them will be tough  ???