Sailing game

lbrewer

Hirilonde, pull down your big spinnaker and hoist your code O, while you broad reach across that light air section of the channel, your speed will increase by over 20%.

The winds in that light air section weren't a reach.  I had to drop my code 0 and go to large spinnaker.  Wish I had taken the time to move further to windward, I lost a ton of time there.  Lighter winds and farther aft as well.  I gained a few spots over all, but was passed by Wyvern  :-[

I joined the group and added all to my friends list.  See you in Singapore.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like to be competitive you need to have some fair amount of credits to buy sail repair kits and auto pilot options.  And these have to be purchased with real money?  If I buy autopilot, do I get to use it the rest of the race, the whole of a leg, or just once?  I bought 6 sail repair kits with the 500 credits I was given less than 2 days ago and woke up this morning to damaged sails? Are the details to how these things work shown some where?  I found the race schedule and the basics of how the game works, but nothing further.  I don't mind spending a few dollars to get the bells and whistles for this game, but I need to know a heck of a lot more before I spend any thing.

The game is fun, but the directions are terrible.

edit:  BTW, I added all of you as friends, and joined Messing About group.  What are the features being in a group adds to the game?

If you click on "SHOP" you will find the options that cost money all laid out.  You can purchase options for one leg or the whole race. 

I think that groups and friends only give you the option to easilly see the race that matters.  As in most racing its the race with the boat next to you that matters regardless of where the leader is situated. 

Are the details to how these things work shown some where?

If there are better or more detailed explanations on the site I haven't been able to find them either.

What are the features being in a group adds to the game?

I don't think being in a group specifically changes any features.  It just identifies someone as being associated with others sharing something in common.  Those you add as friends, however,  can always  be located on the chart.  Before friends aren't selected the other boats that appear on the chart are random and change as you move in and out of the play mode.

I sailed the 600 or so miles from where the game dropped me to the finish without  any damage to the sails.  I was hoping that sail damage might be an unusual event that would only happen if you steer through a storm system or something.

The game is fun, but the directions are terrible.

I agree with both the  "fun" and  the  "terrible directions".

We've been taking similar courses, but we turn off the "see friends" feature so neither of us can see what the other is up to. She's gotten around me a few times, but I took a slight better angle at the stronger winds on the east side of the straight, which gave me a slight advantage now. It's interesting how we've made like decisions regarding course changes, once we realized that the name of this game is "find the wind", preferably along the shortest path to the mark. The common strategy of keeping your boat between the competition and the mark doesn't work.

The wind pattern is updated at 5:00 am and 5:00 pm EST, which is where I see a lot of folks get hung out to dry. They've set a close reach and are making good speed, then 5:00 comes along, with a big shift and they're jogging along at a fraction of the wind speed. Several unattended hours of this and you'll lose thousands of positions.

Now we're in the confines of the lower portion of the straight. The winds are light and fluky, so you pretty much have to take you lumps and ride it out.

This wouldn't be the first time she's used "exceptional" tactics to beat me. She's a mean old cuss, but I've gotten used to her over the years. She pulled up behind me one day and yanked out the drain plug on my boat and sped off, proudly holding the plug in the air, as I desperately looked for something to stop the on rush. I told you she's mean, but a likable kind of mean.

• 2 weeks later...