Sailing game

lbrewer

There is a free ocean sailing game online.  It seems pretty fun so far. There are over 100,000 entrants.  When you start they just put your boat somewhere in the middle apparently.  Right now participants are in leg three of the race.  This leg ends in Singapore and leg 4 starts fresh on the 18th.

http://www.volvooceanracegame.org/home.php

I am entered under the yacht name Ebee Ann

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I created a group named "messing about" for anybody who wants to join.  List your boat name in this thread and I'll add it to the group. 

Dave, I sent an invitation to join to Hirilonde.  The Pro Sail option is free to all players on leg 3 sponsored by "SmartRigging"  (I hope they are going to continue that sponsorship into leg 4) 

Are you in the game too PAR?  What yacht name?

Sure, You're just sitting there in the pub while I'm out battling 8 knot winds on my port quarter!  It's every man fer hisself out here and you're sweet talking the honeys while sipping some girly drink!  You just wait'll I get there, buddy - I'll show you what-for!  ;)

Only 634 miles to go!  Arrrr!!

Man, I started the other day and the game dropped me way below the rumb, in the middle of the Indian Ocean. Then a few hours latter I got headed and had to bare off (I should have tacked and taken my lumps like a man), leaving me stuck clawing up the lee shore of Sumatra. I've spent all day going half the distance I did the day before. Finally, I'm rounding the check point, but of course the night time shift is on and the winds are lighter. At least by mid day tomorrow, I'll be able to reach all the way down the straight to the finish line.

Some of the forum members that have joined the game after me, have had a favorable drop above the rumb and have been able to reach down to the straight, without worrying about the check point or getting caught in the lee of the island.

I also have to admit to some tactics, because the other half is in a boat just to leeward. She tried to cover me yesterday, not that the game really takes this into consideration and she got by me for a half a day. The dirty dog in me, drove hard into the lee shore, knowing I'd be able to cover her on the next two tacks. Now, if she's smart, she'll round under me and it'll be a drag race down the straight.

The dirty dog in me, drove hard into the lee shore, knowing I'd be able to cover her on the next two tacks. Now, if she's smart, she'll round under me and it'll be a drag race down the straight

If you show your hand now she may have you figured out before the next leg when we all start from the same spot ;) 

Invitation sent to RYD Yachts