Wishing you all....

capt jake

We're having a quieter Christmas than usual, as Jan has to avoid crowds pending some surgery on Monday (they don't want her to get sick and postpone it; it takes about a month to get things coordinated between the doctors and the hospital).  But its been good.

Instead of traveling to Newport Beach to her sister's last night, we drank hot chocolate and watched "Its a Wonderful Life".  My daughter, Kris, left at 2:30 to go to the family Christmas Eve gathering and spent 4 hours in traffic to go the 105 miles, a trip that usually takes about 2 hours.  We saw Clarence get his wings again, and figured we may have had the best of things last night!

Like a lot of families, we didn't spend a ton of money this Christmas.  I did get a new Dremel; I "let the smoke out" of the one I inherited from my Dad 5 years ago a few weeks ago (it was probably 20 years old when I got it!)  The new one is fancier, but other than the plastic cladding and a slide switch instead of rotary dial for the speed control, looks about the same.  Several history books (American Colonial period and just after; I've been reading those for the past 10 years, and several new ones came out this year).  Jan got several DVDs and books, all in the "romantic comedy" genre she likes to escape into. 

We'll make an appearance at the smaller family gathering today, but then probably leave to minimize contact.  Its interesting that sometimes a scaled back holiday focuses your mind on the important parts of it, and less on the trappings. 

Charlie,

Assuming all is well at your end, why be sad?  It sounds like fun just hanging out at the marina....in warm weather too. :)

Greg- it is- we drove there last evening with a jug of Eggnog and the requisite rum to go in it. And tonight will be great too- early in the morning we'll have coffee on the deck , or in the day room.

We'd just really prefer to have sailed out somewhere today, and anchored for the evening. Weather is really too crappy for that. Little wind and fog.