Stevenson's Lake scow

lewisboats

I have been looking at "Sailboats you can Build" and I think I'll try my hand at a Lake Scow this Spring. Of course...I'll be doing a little modifying...I am going to add 2" of freeboard...making the sides out of 1x12s rather than 1x10s and adjusting things to suit. I am leary of the 8 1/2" of side that the plans call for and would rather pay the weight penalty for the extra 2" of freeboard. Has anyone else built one around here?

Steve

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wow...The old Circle Sailer! That is a pretty ancient design. I still have a set of the plans in the archives somewhere, and it's interesting to see how things have changed.

I'd sort of lean toward a newer project, but it is a very simple project to have some quick fun with. The only problem nowadays is getting the tubes for the Lateen rig. One good thing about making the Lateen rig is that it can be used on a few other of our projects (the Mini-Cup, Vector, and the Ply-Flier to name a few), so you can get good use of it.

I look forward to seeing how it comes together!

Mike

Thanks for popping in here...I have a couple of things... First, I'll probably change it to a Balanced Lug (mainly because I already have a Dacron sail) so the spars will end up somewhat shorter. I estimate that the balance wouldn't change too awful much and I can take care of some of it by raking the mast.  Would you be requiring a royalty for the use of the plans seeing as I bought the book second hand through Amazon and don't know if any of the boats have been built from it? I was going to email you about it before I actually started building the boat but that's a couple of months from now.

Steve

We won't be needing a royalty, but thank you very much for asking. Thoughtful of you.

I would love to see pics, as I imagine many others here would as well. That would be a form of contribution we can all appreciate!

I think you'll be in a great shape with the lug-rig. You obviously have the situation well in hand and I look froward to the results.

Mike

Well...Step 1 has been initiated...I ordered a couple of 20 ft aluminum poles to make the mast and spars. I got one 2.125 OD 6063 .065 tube for the mast (with extra as there is a cutting fee...I'll cut my own  ;D ) and one 1.5" OD for the spars. I'm gonna end up short by about 1 foot on each of the spars but I plan on plugging the ends so I'll extend to what I need with the plugs. This will give me replaceable attachment points for hardware as a Benny! The pair only cost $67 delivered...pretty good I think. Now is the time to buy the stuff as it is sure to go up. I will probably order more to keep for other projects. I got mine from here: http://www.globaltecheng.com/products.htm As I said before I already have a sail which is Dacron, 75 sf designed for Michalak's Woobo and Mayfly. I was going to use it on Guppy but that build is on hold indefinitely... due to lack of space and time.

Steve

EDITED to Add: Got an email asking me how I wanted it shipped and that I wasn't charged shipping...Oh well...At least I was able to tell them I didn't want it chopped into 7 ft sections to UPSed for $5 extra!

• 1 month later...

Started in earnest today...got the sides cut out and matched and marked out the ply bottom. I got my hands on this really nice 12 ft quartersawn DF 4x4...except there is one knot which might give me trouble. I think I can work around it and get my mast out of it. It'll be 2.5x2.5 tapering to 1.5x1.5 solid. I've strayed from the plans a bit more...I added some rocker aft but it is a pretty straight run aft so I might still plane in good wind. I didn't like the idea of the transom dragging so much in non planing sailing. Beam will be a bit wider at 48" at the aft transom and 30.5" at the bow transom. I already have a 12"x48"x1.1" thick laminated daggerboard...still in the rough but ready to shape. Tomorrow I'll be cutting out the ply bottom and starting to work on the daggerboard case. Even though the daggerboard is 12" wide I'll do up the case at 16" and use plugs so I can work out the position for best balance then make the plugs semi-permanent. I'm borrowing the rig from Michalak's Woobo...I have the plans and a nice dacron sail spec'd for it. I'll be using the rudder from SkipJack (kick-up) and possibly putting a small folding leeboard on one side so I can sail right up to beaching after pulling the DB.

Pics to follow

Steve

side1.jpg

side2.jpg

planedtomatch.jpg

Ok...pic 1 and 2 show the rough cut sides. Both ends are 24" outside edge to outside edge. Shows the rocker I added to the aft end. Pic 3 shows the bottom edges matched with a plane. I still have to bevel the top for the deck but that is a quick run through the table saw.

Steve

I built one of these! Many years ago.

I, of course, modified it, too, as I was 20, had already built another boat and knew everything.

Specifically, I skipped the wings, added a daggerboard, and went with a sharpie style sprit sail rig.

The lake scow sailed pretty good - much better than the first boat I built (sans plans and with only a vague idea of what a small sailboat should look like). The only thing I remember noting was the tendency for the bow to dig right into the back of any and every wave when going downwind. That splash rail is VERY necessary!

Unfortunately, the foam flotation I added was also necessary. It seems that silicon window caulk and drywall screws (my idea, NOT the designer's!) were not the ideal way to fasten the hull and deck to the sides. Actually, as it turned out, I didn't add quite enough foam, but luckily the boat trapped enough air when it flipped over so that it stopped sinking.

And that's when the 70kt squall hit us . . . .

Apparently someone here wrote that book and/or designed that boat . . . Thanks - it was fun to sail and quick to build!

Anyway, good luck with your boat!

Dave Gentry

Just taking a quick break...Beveling 12' boards on a tiny 10" utility tablesaw is not the easiest thing...had to grab my neighbor to help support the end. Got the bottom panels cut out too. After the coke Ill start laying out the bulkheads and transoms. I need to run to the store to pick up a piece for the rear transom...I forgot about the wings and only got a 4' piece...mistake #1 (I think  ??? ) so far!

Steve

I had some before but they disappeared so here they are again.

lakescow1.jpg

lakescow2.jpg

lakescow3.jpg

Mods planned: more freeboard (3"+), daggerboard for main lateral resistance and possibly a small pivoting leeboard to beach with, 75 sf balanced lug rig (because I have a nice brand new sail and want to use it), 2" more beam aft and 3" forward, a bit of rocker aft and the kick up rudder from SkipJack. Should actually look much like the scans but a bit taller.

Steve

• 2 months later...

Well...2 steps forward and 1 step back! Today I found out that yesterday was FUBAR. If you notice in the scans...the transom has nifty wings...check the pics from yesterday. So...today I figured to cut a piece in the right shape and stick it on there. 'Cept that the sides were supposed to be notched and the wings extending from the shear out and down. SoOoO...I had to do surgery on the transom to accept the piece and I will have to make a plywood cover to hide my shame. I'll post pics when I am not so discouraged to take them. Right now it's a rum and coke and a few minutes in the moaning chair before I go to bed.

Steve