"Harley 8" one sheet boat

bdann

It's probably virtually identical to the One Sheet Skiff, which I built in two weekends.  http://www3.sympatico.ca/herbert.mcleod/skiff.htm

I put a 3.3 hp ouboard on it a tooled around the marina.

But I wasn't crazy enough to get above 1/3 throttle and plane it out.

I guarantee you it would have, though.

You'd be surprised how much payload you can put on one of those things before it ships water.

(ask me how I know)  ;)

You really can't go wrong with one.

I mean, you're out what?  50 bucks total if you don't like it...?

Yea, the designer says it differs from other "one sheet" designs in that this one has a lot more freeboard than is typical.  It has 16" at the bow and 13" at the transom, which seems like a lot for such a tiny boat.  He accomplishes this by making the transom from a 1x12 instead of ply, which frees up more of the ply for the rest of the hull.  "cheating" I guess if you care about that sort of thing, i don't. 

I'm going to build one, like you said, if I don't like it I'm not out much. 

I'm going to build one, like you said, if I don't like it I'm not out much. 

Yeah, I guess that's so.  I don't really understand the rationale behind the one sheet thing other than an exercise in geometry and arithmetic.  For reference, this little boat has only 1/4 the buoyancy of an Optimist pram, which is a pretty little boat for an adult to be in.  It will sink one inch for each 29 lbs put into it (not including the boat weight) while the Optimist sinks 1 inch for each 130 lbs. 

Dull numbers, I'm sure, but all good boat design is based on such numbers.  Heck, I once built a boat of cardboard and won a race with it so I should not be the one to say nay.  I do hope that any kid that is put in one of these is being watched and has a life jacket on.  Adults are on their own recognizance, as the judge would say.  Have fun.

• 1 year later...

im thinking of building one of these lil boats for the kids as well as myself lol. the links on this page differ from the plans i have for the harley 8. i no this boat is on the small size. but i cant find any plans for a 2 seater any links anyone?  if not this boat looks fun and cheap plus the plans were free. and on the plans it doesnt say what size plywood is it 1/4'' or 1/2'' ? ive never build a boat so i dont want to look like a dork to my kids cause they will be helping me build it.hope it floats

sounds good is there anywhere i can get free plans for the PDRacer 10' and does anyone know an around about price of building one, reason i ask is ive never built a boat before, and i dont wont to have a lot of cost in one not knowing if it will float rite ive done alot of searching on how tos and stuff for maken a boat but just not sure on witch boat is right for a first timer, id like one that handels good for a noobie to sail in. im open to all ideas :-D

Well as with any PDRacer there ain't a lot of plan in the plans. To be officially a 10'er you just scale up the plans. I however just added 2 feet to the middle. I have a pic of CLC's pocketship and scaled my sails to the proportions of that boat. The mast ended up at about 10 ft. I used 3/8 and 1/2 inch ply. and some luan. This made the boat heavy. If I had to do over I would just use 1/4" luan. I think 4 sheets should do it. I put 2 air boxes in mine. The bow and a seat at the stern. A few 2x4s to be cut into stringers and glue, lots of glue. I used Liquid Nails Heavy Duty. I got a poly tarp cheap for the sails and some rope. All in all I think I spent $125. The paint I had. If you stick with 1/4" ply, don't get overly complicated you could do it for less and keep the boat lighter. Mine weighs in at about 175 lbs. A little on the heavy side. You want to be able to put it in the bed of the truck and then in the water and out of the water with no more than 2 people. My keel is a little small. So read all you can on keels and rudders so you get them right the first time. The PDRacer site says don't worry about leaks all boats leak, well mine didn't, the key is as I said lots of glue.

If you are thinking that in the future you might want to build a more substantial boat, you might want to take this build as practice with epoxy. There is a big learning curve with this stuff. It will add to your cost though.

John   

sounds like its not that hard im a fare carpenter i have about 2 and a half yrs of drafting. so i know a lil about building and reading blue prints just not sure on the glue being strong anuff. to me fiber glass would be a great add on after the wood work is done. i know that i can steam the 1x2's in a closed pvc pipe. to make them curve.but not to sure on how to curve the ply wood.unless its forst.and thanks for the idea of just streching the boat from the middel, now that i heard that makes me feel dumb lol. ok one more question if i strech it in the middle wont that make it like a conue easy to tip over?being long yet skinney. i guess then i would just have to make it wider. or just take the plans of the pdr racer and the harley 8.and make them both as one cause i dont like the looks of the pdr but it seems to be able to hold more ibs. and i like the looks of the harley 8 with a pointed bow.and it cant hold much lbs.

the summer breeze looks cool just what i want to build.thanks very much for the tip. when i get to work on it i will post some pics of the build so you all may point out my flaws lol. im still going to build the harley 8 for my son to play on the pond in my field. i will post pics of that build as well.

Wow...I forgot that those pages were still residing on the site. I haven't seen that background and calligraphy in years. The other version is more up to date if not quite so flashy with the background and navigation. I really should do an update...I'll add that to the mile long list of to dos and projects that I don't have time to get to right now.

Summer Breeze is a pretty boat. A "real" boat as a matter of fact. The 10'PDRacer will not be very pretty. But it will be a fast build. It is not tippy. 4' wide stem to stern. It is a very stable platform. So stable with the sails stowed you can walk around on it while on the water.

I don't know...Pepe's PD with that small cabin is pretty slick. I have seen some that are really way out there but very interesting and creative. Welsford has one and so does Michalak along with Storer and the original. There are plenty of plans and styles to choose from then let your imagination go wild from there. I started with Pepe's example and morphed it into a 14.5+ footer with multiple chines and a nice sized cabin...if a little shy  of headroom.

SnootBootGrande1A.jpg

SBG1Linesplan.JPG