Almost bit the bullet... but couldn't do it

Garry

I was sorely tempted to order one of Graham's kits for the CS17 but reason (?) prevailed. With a heavy workload at work and a time consuming project at home, there was no way I could give it the attention needed. And I needed to get out on the water occasionally.

So I bought a 17' 1984 Spindrift Daysailer 1 this weekend. This boat is out of the same molds sold by O-Day to Rebel/Spindrift when O-Day marketed the Daysailer II. The boat and sails (apparently original) seem in pretty good shape except for a handsize section of glass exposing the foam core at the transom. It shouldn't be too dificult to repair.

But at heart, I still feel like a boatbuilder so I'll be keeping tabs on you guys. And someday, when I get the time, maybe I'll get started on that P28 (or 30 or... ).

your pal, Garry

Gary,

Don't go away.  Tell us about your adventures in your new boat.  My first real sailboat back in 1972 was a Daysailor II.  It was a great boat and my wife and two little kids had some great times in it.

Only problem I had was the centerboard.  It would get stuck up everytime I went near a beach.  I would have to go under the boat and pull it down to get it unstuck.

Great planning boat.  Not as great as my CS 17 though and I like the cat/ketch rig much better.

Dale

Welcome to the ranks Garry!

Now you get to sit on the sidelines with the likes of me while everybody else builds boats - At least we can post sailing stories from time to time (not to mention fun stuff like repair, trailer setup, Foredeck beer placement, etc)  ;D

When do we get pics of the new boat?

You could go down to the local Lowe's/Depot and pick up a couple of cans of paint, plus a faux wood graining tool. Maybe some teak looking decks or a pretty mahogany like sheer plank is in order. That cove stripe looks terrible anyway, so another option is to cover it up with a thin veneer of real wood. Of course cockpit locker lids, possibly a sole grate or two. Lots of options to pretty up that Clorox bottle. They sail fairly well, considering they're under canvassed and a little heavy. With a couple of crazy sailors aboard you can get them up and rocking fairly well in moderate wind strengths. Have fun . . .

Yep, I have a few ideas. I plan to remove the cove stripe and paint the hull, maybe then add a wood cove stripe and rub rail. There are some teak back rests and seat planks that need restoration or replacement.

But at least it will get me out on the water until I have time to build something else.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Garry,

You'll enjoy her I think.  I also almost bought a CS17 kit a few months ago, but then decided to wait to see how the Lapwing turned out.  She's a beauty, that's for sure.  I'm waiting to hear how she sails and whether a kit will be available for her soon.

But I do own a '75 Daysailer, and she is a fun boat to sail.  Simple, roomy, and ghosts along in almost no air, and not too coltish when the breeze picks up.  I sail in somewhat larger boats frequently, including very frequently in a Capri 22 and my buddy's Ensign, but the Daysailer is just a fun boat compared to those others.  I always feel like I'm much more in touch with the wind in her, and I love how low she rides. 

Still, I have this great shop and LOVE wooden boats, so it's a CS17 or Lapwing kit for me in the not too distant future.  It's nice to have a boat to sail while the build is under way.  It may eat into the build time, but then that's the best of both worlds.

Phil