A dfferent type of Art lost,,,,

Oyster

I think it would be fun to own one of the medium sized shrimp boats...wish I could remember the sizes....but not for shrimping.  If she was sound it could make a good boat to live on with some modifications, and do some serious cruising.  I think my neighbor's boat was in the forty foot range, and he use to make trips to Yucatan to shrimp and back.  That must have been about 45 years ago by now. :P

Greg,

I follow your line of thought.  A couple of years ago I rescued a 48 footer that was in bad shape from neglect.  Hurricane Katrina had inflicted some damage as well but not as much as the neglect.  My intention was to restore it for pleasure rather than work, utilizing the hold as a salon area.  Kinda like the picture below of the Monk pilothouse.  I managed to get the hull seaworthy again, replacing all the bad planking and learning to use caulking irons. New bottom paint was added and Petit Easypoxy for the hull topsides.  I really had a blast working on it.  After about $2000 in repairs, a guy who had lost his boat in the storm asked me to buy her so he could go back to work.  What's a guy to do in that situation?  I sold her to him for the cost of the repairs, so I got my money back.  I learned a lot in the project as well. 

post-839-129497680145_thumb.jpg

post-839-129497680154_thumb.jpg

post-839-129497680164_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

I think traditional wooden boat building has gone the way of the traditional blacksmith arts; its a curiosity that people will continue at museums and that sort of thing.  Stitch and glue boat building is a lot different, and I think that the amateur boat builders will be around still.

After I built my tenth boat I kept telling myself, I would never build another &*$%^$^$ boat,

Here I am! on my 32nd boat later. its a virus once its bittin you youll have it for life. some can build an imunity to it like moving into the heart of arizona or death valley but most who have the virus can only fall prey to the desire to build another boat.

The adventure of building a Boat and then the adventure of Taking it out are are from the same bird of paradise just diffrent feathers. The true grandeur of a finly crafted piece of wood to that sensation of Reaching on a brisk summer breeze sends shivers of a seagoing passion through ones soul only to matched by the purest of love. I beleve that boat builders have a genetic soul and that wether it be a 6 foot punt or 100 foot yacht, there is no sensation in the world like the one in your soul that reaches that level of self apprechiation and satisfaction and sense of accomplisment when her hull touches the water for the very first time. yes my freinds Big or small punt or yawl she is beautiful! :D

• 1 month later...

I wish I was in your shoes. I have been trying to gather enough intel to begin a project of my own. I am just still in the design and research phase. Yes, I do agree with you that the art of woodworking shipwright is a dying art. With the advent of all the USCG, the FCC, the ABYC, IMO, and many more, it has gotten much more difficult to produce a vessel that meets all the regs. It would not be soo hard if people would just learn to not be so much "lovers of money" as the Bible says, and follow the Bible principles of loving one another as brothers. As brothers, we would learn to share, more freely and earnestly these arts that are dying. Thereby insuring that the next generation could do the same. But that would remain to be my hopes and dreams as this modern society grows further and further away from being good Christian people and more and more towards lovers of money. This is how we will kill off all forms of the woodworking arts. We are so rapped up in making money that we forget to appreciate the fact that we are all in the same boat. This boat is sinking fast! We have neglected our duties of stewardship towards our oceans and waterways and are killing off the bountiful marine life that we so much depend upon.

That is just a mere example of how far we have come. If we do not share the art of woodworking shipwright and more, it will all continue to disappear. I am learning much of what I need to know by looking at the "YouTube" videos that good kindhearted people are posting. Few people are posting or publishing e-books that would help our children pick up and learn our dying woodworking arts and more. Many that do, are so rapped up in making the almighty buck, that they have not stopped to think of the hundreds and thousands of kids in schools that are doing research for a boating school project and can't afford to pay for the information or buy some expensive book.

• 3 weeks later...