Advice on Outboard for CS 17

francesco

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul, I just noticed in your picture how well the hulls carry so much weight aft, still sitting on its waterline. Could the reason for that be all the extra watertight compartments in the area of dead space located properly in that boat? Inquiring minds want to know, if the owner could come foward and enlighten us.

Thanks Ray,

You really opened my eyes to the hidden down side to electric trolling motors. I think I will look around for a used small gas motor. The problem in Texas is the title requirements. If you find a good deal on a motor, no title available. Find a used motor with a title, the price is so high, may as well buy a new one.

I have every intension of making my own oars but I want to do the Texas 200 next spring and I think a motor would be a safety requirement made by my wife.

I was hoping I could get electric power cheaper than gas but I didn't think it all the way thru.

Thanks again,

Roger

I concur with Ray's assessment of electrics. Fine for minimal usage, but really not a practical advantage when any kind of range is desired. Nice to have instant, quiet power, but the batteries add weight very quickly and can't be replenished as easily as refilling a gas tank. And you have to mess with hooking up the batteries for recharge each time you return home, or find shore power, or else mount a VERY large solar panel, which would be an eyesore in most cases and still not offer outstanding range.

Some folks have mentioned larger HP motors on Core Sounds in the past, but one of the things that makes the small HP motors ideal is the tiny, top-mounted gas tank. I think it's only like 0.5 gallons on ours (maybe 0.75), but it could motor a LONG time on that, and a small 1-gallon auxiliary tank under the forward seat gives us an incredible motoring range for very little added weight if we're going cruising for several days. An electric motor with a comparable 40 lbs. of battery weight would get maybe 1/10th of the same range, probably less. I can't believe how efficient the small 4-stroke outboards can be... when I turn off the fuel supply, the motor can run steadily for up to 2 minutes on just the tiny amount of fuel left in the line! Very cool. Of course, it's a bit of a moot point, since we hardly ever run the motor. We could go months on a single tank of gas, as long as it's treated with Sta-bil to prevent gumming problems over time (which can be very hard on a motor... and it's still good to run it for at least 15 minutes each month, even if you treat/stabilize the gas).

Hey Ken, do you fish from your CS often? Have you made any fishing-related mods to the boat? I'm planning to try her out as a fishing boat in the near future... probably when my dad is down visiting us for Thanksgiving, as he and I haven't been fishing together since I was a kid.

I've got to stop picking at you guys - You pick right back  ;)

Oyster - That refresher course is a good idea.  The problem is I've gone so long without cutting a piece of wood that I should start more basic.  If only I could find someone who needed 12 hours or so of sanding on their project and was willing to let me have all the fun...

Paul.  Admit it - you've got motor envy.

And both you guys - The thing that keeps my custom 6-foot-shaft 2hp honda from sinking the boat is all the helium I sealed in the lazarette.

Wes - I haven't made any fishing mods.  When I've been fishing with a friend we usually end up with one of us sitting on the foredeck and one by the tiller.  Be careful not to snag the sails...  Let me know if you come up with any good mods.

Oyster - That refresher course is a good idea.  The problem is I've gone so long without cutting a piece of wood that I should start more basic.  If only I could find someone who needed 12 hours or so of sanding on their project and was willing to let me have all the fun...

A friend in need is a true friend indeed. Here you go there good buddy! I will let you do the inside mortises in the beginning to get your finger nails pruned so that they will not scare the coats after we begin to get the multiple coats on the face trims.

I aim to please.

DSC04385.jpg

If you will look closely, this is your first mission if you choose to accept. :-*

DSC04377.jpg

Nice looking boat, Oyster!

Ray's right... I meant a small gas can under the forward bench-style seat (well ventilated) in front of the CB case, not an enclosed seat compartment.

I probably won't make any fishing mods to the CS (other than the depthfinder now installed, which I posted about on my Hull 102 thread), but I have a very nice 3-part spinning rod/reel that will stow nicely inside one of the seats.

Wes,

A couple of rod holders let into the side decks can come in awfully handy. I've caught sea trout and ladyfish while trolling and a really nice flounder when I was just drownding shrimp at anchor.

When you stop for a quick lunch ashore you might try throwing out a bit of squid and just keep an eye on the pole.