Amazon Deal: Bosch Jig Saw - $139

Frank Hagan

This is a great jigsaw, and while Amazon says the list price is normally $310, I've seen these for about $170 on sale in the big box stores.  With free shipping, its still a good $30 off:

What I like about this jig saw is that it has much less vibration and therefore so much more control than the "throwaway" cheap ones. 

I can't remember what I paid for mine a few years back, but I think it was in the $150 range.  The difference between the Bosch and the old ones I had ... a collection of Black & Decker, Craftsman and Skill ... was night and day.  I threw every one of the old ones away.  Jan was surprised because usually I'll give them to someone, but I told her I couldn't pass one on now that I knew they were so bad.

I have discussed, debated and argued with many woodworkers about different brands of many tool types, but everyone seems to agree that Bosch makes the best reciprocating saw.  Do they still offer the barrel grip version?  I doubt mine will need replacement for a long time yet (only 15 years old), but I will want the barrel grip again when it finally dies.

These are called Jig Saws; the reciprocating saws are like Sawzall:

31285TGDFTL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

They are immensely satisfying to use, but you don't have the control you have with a Jig Saw.

Anyway, Bosch still makes the barrel grip Jig Saw, and they have avoided the trend of adding a bunch of plastic cladding to the tools to make them look more modern.  A lot of people prefer the barrel grip.  Its the same saw with just a different handle.

I hate the new trend trying to make tools look tough.  The new Mikita cordless drills look terrible now:

41vLkj%2BTQ2L._SL160_AA160_.jpg

2. to move forward and backward alternately

Lots of tools do this, and today they take many shapes.  Often trade names are improperly used generically, as Sawzall, Lexan, Skill Saw, etc..  Different regions of the country use different names as well.  I don't think it can be quantified exactly one way or the other.

That's supposed to be one of the best performing jig saws out there. I was doing some research on them for cutting 3/4" baltic birch with a square edge.

I got this whacky notion I could make a nice looking dining chair from laminated layers of 3/4" baltic birch, which is supposed to have no voids and a very clean looking edge grain because it uses interior-grade glue (clear in color). That's the 5x5 size sheet. Might mix in a layer of different colored hardwood in the layers for an accent effect. 

Anyway, since I don't have my own personal CNC router and or a large enough stable band saw, I thought the jig saw would be nice to prototype with. If it turns out nicely, it'll give me an excuse to buy a nice big band saw.  ;D