Messabout II

PeterP

While everyone is hot and excited about Messabout I -I think it may be good time to consider Messabout II. Slightly different format perhaps - ease Carla out of the kitchen and Graham away from phone organizing everything. Earlier in October -definitely. How about sail-in for those so inclined-from Oriental to Graham's. Easy 25 - 30 miles down Neuse and up Bay River. Camp at Graham's if that is OK and if enough people make a financial commitment we could have a catered pig picking the final night. I know Graham misses The Great Race and so do others. Perhaps a full blown blast down Neuse from New Bern is the ticket.  It could be a "hunt your own rabbits" affaire with nothing but the starting and finishing points given. How about it people! Let's get together again -I can't wait. PeterP

I'm all for an event that doesn't require Carla and Graham to work as hard (they need time off too).  I think it is quite generous enough that they opened their dock to all who might be interested (nevermind the wonderful bbq's) and I'd love to participate in a low-impact repeat of the messabout.  I've heard rumours about a trip around the NC sounds starting and ending at the B and B dock and I would love to see it happen even if there aren't any checkpoints etc.  I'm more than happy to take responsibility for myself and my ship and make my way unsupported around the "course".  Early October would be good but I'd also embrace July or January or some other difficult month.

FWIW, this month's Messing About In Boats, which is a continuation of the last two monthsm has an article about the sound called Waterlogged. But this is just silly guys. This happens almost every weekend in some form or the other. ;D ;D ;D Of course the pig is not always involved, just slimy fish on some occasions as an extra bonus!!

I'm all for it! A real Eastern NC Pig-Pick would be a treat, I'll do some research on that. July sailing in these parts usually sucks though, wind varies from none to thunder squalls, and the official Pamlico County Bird (called mosquito's by inlanders) can be viscious. I'd vote to stay out of July!

May is usually fine. July and August are the worst in terms of personal comfort, camping or sailing. Skin hawks are year-round, depending on current rainfall. They are what they are and are really only tortuous when combined with other adverse conditions, like oppressive heat and no wind like in July and August.