NEW PLANS FOR SUPER SKIPJACK

Guest Peter Stevenson

Guest Peter Stevenson

Greetings from our new Mission Control in Texas!

As I type, Mike's battling with the computers to get the new-version web-site up and running this week. Things are going great so far, and we're looking for lift-off maybe even today, barring earthquakes, asteroids, or a sudden desire to go outside and enjoy the Texas weather.

We're also wrapping up the final stages of production on the plans for the new Super Skipjack. We're excited about the boat's willingness to perform. For this one we're going to be experimenting with a new way for builders to compete with their boats against other builders across the country, using standardized speed-run course, GPS, and those new videocams that ride in model airplanes to verify the race performances.

The boat is also well suited to participate as a Pirate Pinnace in the raft of Pirate Festivals cropping up everywhere, it seems. If prodded, we may even reveal the secrets of our pirate naval paintball cannon. So, stand by, keep watching this space, and we may get some new kinds of fun going. And as the man said, "You can't beat Fun."

Pete Stevenson

• 2 weeks later...

OK: The Super Skipjack plans are finally finished! They're going to the printers next week and as soon as we have them, I'll post an ordering link. I will be driving home and my ETA is around the 10th of Nov. I expect to post the ordering link that week, and some sailing video clips as well. We had a chance to take the prototype out last Saturday and it was quite fun.

Mike

I just looked at what is available at the Stevenson's site.  Is there a study plan set or any of the basic line drawings available to take a better look at the Super Skipjack yet?  Your write up, Mike, has wet my appetite to learn more. :)

Some idea of how Peter got away from using a C/B would be of interest too.

Thanks,

Greg.

I had a nice chat with Peter yesterday, on the phone, about the Super Skipjack.  This would be a very nice boat, in my opinion, for rivers and small lakes due to its ability to handle shallow water and beachings.  I have no idea how it might work for more open waters and did not discuss that with Peter.  We talked about how its design is similar to the Weekender and some other odds and ends.  I was surprised when he answered my phone call as I thought I was speaking to the answering machine at first. ;D  We also talked about the Pedal Bugatti and the Kayak designs.

• 2 weeks later...

Bill: Yep, your boat was one of those we drooled over along with everyone else. I am pretty sold on the open-cockpit-Weekender concept now, and 14' is an easy-to-handle size. I need to get some time to finish the second SSkipjack I started. It's hanging up in a barn at Peter's, just waiting to be finished...Not anytime in the next 6-9 months for me, I know that, but one of these years.

Mike