New Shed

Frank Hagan

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its been slow going ... I have the walls up, rafters on and all the siding on.  One wall is out of square, but to fix it would mean pulling off the siding on front, side and back, and removing at least half the rafters.  So its going to be a non-square shed.  Really irks me that I didn't catch it, but I guess that's how we learn.

I have one fascia board on; I'll put the other 5 on this weekend and put the roof sheathing on.  It rained last weekend so it really slowed me down.

My problem is I have a perfectionist's heart and pig-slop skills!  But it will be a shed (eventually).

I'll take some pics tomorrow if I get a chance to work on it (have a three day weekend). 

Ok, Frank, where are the pics?  LOL, at least if you were here in this deep freeze you might have an excuse, but not in sunny CA. ;D

I have an idea about how to hide that unsquare wall, but need to see some pics first.

This is the west side of the shed, with the window (this wall is square).  I have the fascia hung on this side; it took me a while to figure out that the compound miter where it meets the front fascia would be a 45 on the same 12/6 angle that the rafters are on (67.5 or something like that):

post-0-129497639507_thumb.jpg

post-527-12949763952_thumb.jpg

post-2-1294976804_thumb.jpg

post-2-129497680402_thumb.jpg

The lines in the T11 in relation to the corner boards make the amount out of square seem larger and can also make it look smaller, thus hiding the mistake.  I think if you taper the corner board to be parrallel to the T11 grooves, it will not look as pronounced.  Just an idea that has worked for me in the past.  1/2inch out of square is not important within the scale of the shed and should just be hidden...IMHO. :)

• 1 month later...

An update photo ... I have the siding painted, the doors on (including the threshold and weatherstripping) and the OSB on the roof.  I found a 5 gal. pail of beige exterior paint at my local Home Depot that had been returned, and they sold it to me for $15.  They no longer sell any "oops" paint at my Home Depot, but donate it to Habitat for Humanity; I told the manager I was planning on visiting their thrift store, called Restore, for the paint, and he pulled the bucket out and asked if I wanted to buy it.  The doors are from Restore and I think I paid $35 each for them.

post-0-129497639507_thumb.jpg

I think I need one of those hoods and tyvek "bunny suits" next time I use this thing!  Getting the white primer out of my beard and hair was an experience.

post-2-129497681444_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...